Let’s talk about Maca (and it’s Monday, so it’s fitting because alliteration and all and yeah). Now, I’m not a nutritionist or R.D., but I have had enough experience in the health world to make decisions for my own health (not someone else’s…though that’s the hope one day!), and Maca is one of the decisions that I’m digging the most lately.
After talking with my R.D. (yes, I still see one from time to time to check in and make sure that I’m still doing what I need to be doing to be healthy for me), I decided to incorporate Maca, an adaptogen, into my diet back in January. At the time, I was still struggling with depression, as well as unbalanced hormones from years of disordered eating, so with everything I was already doing to get my body and mind in balance, Maca seemed to be a good addition to supplement my work.
I had been eating well, exercising the right amount for my body, and focusing more on good sleep, but my PMS symptoms were still horrible, my period was irregular, and my mood would still dip low. Well, with consistent use, Maca has really helped me tip the other way in health- the good way. It was like I needed something to help me get over the hump.
These are just some of the benefits of Maca, and the ones I specifically experienced. Of course, I can’t credit all of the improvements I’ve made to an adapotgen (meditation has played a big role, changing my daily routine, working on bettering myself from the inside out!), but I truly believe that it really has helped, and it tastes great too! It’s sort of like a malted flavor that pairs so well with vanilla or chocolate!
So I decided that I’d share with you two of my favorite ways to use Maca! Enter in the Maca Banana Cream Pancakes and Maca Chia Cauli Oats. Oh yes, let the drooling commence!
Both recipes can be used without the Maca, but I think that it adds a nice hint of yumminess to it and brings out the other flavors. Let me know what you think, and happy Monday, everyone!
Maca Banana Cream Pancakes
- 1 baked sweet potato (I used a white yam, but an orange or purple works well!)
- ½ mashed banana
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp almond or coconut milk
- 1 tsp Maca
- Additional: cinnamon, vanilla extract
- Toppings (more bananas…because duh!, fruits, cacao nibs, chia seeds, hemp seeds, nut butters)
- Combine all ingredients, except toppings, until well blended, like a batter.
- Grease a skillet or griddle with coconut oil or ghee and pour about ¼ cup of batter into small round pancakes.
- Cook for about 3 minutes on each side.
- Top with favorite toppings and enjoy!
Maca Chia Cauli Oats
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 cup cauliflower rice
- 1 tbsp Salbachia seeds
- 2 tbsp GF oats
- 1 tsp Maca
- Vanilla Extract
- Toppings: nut buters, fruits, seeds, nuts, coconut flakes, cacao nibs, etc.
- Pour almond milk into a small saucepan and start to warm.
- Add cauliflower rice and cook for about 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add chia seeds, oats, Maca, cinnamon, and vanilla extract, and stir a few times to combine well.
- Place lid on saucepan and allow mixture to cook on low for about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour into a bowl and top with your favorite toppings!