Okay, I know I’m going to sound crazy to a lot of people, but I never really liked fried food! I know. I sound like a lunatic. But honestly, fried food tasted like nothing to me if I ever tried it, and I always felt lethargic and tired after eating it.
Some people like the taste of fried food, and honestly, it sounds really good! But for me, it just doesn’t speak to my soul (lol that it’s considered soul food). So I made up my own version of a classic: chicken and waffles! Now this truly does speak to my soul! Crusted in coconut flour and with a sweet potato waffle of course!
Why am I trying to recreate a classic fried dish? Well, I’m not into that whole mentality of recreating your favorite “unhealthy” dishes for the “healthy” version. I think that’s deprivation and a road I do not want to go down. If you crave something, have it, as long as you won’t make yourself feel guilty afterwards (because eating shouldn’t be associated with guilt! Just my opinion J).
But at the same time, I want there to be options for everyone. Maybe you’re like me and don’t like the taste of fried food/have allergies that prevent you from eating it (calling all glutenoids, hit me up!). Maybe you don’t like eating meat off the bone (also like me). Maybe you want to try something new to switch it up! Whatever it may be, this dish can offer it to you.
Everything on this place was also made within 40 minutes (not including the time to bake the sweet potato- although you could microwave it, but I can’t promise that will taste as good!). It’s so easy to follow, and your taste buds will just be on cloud nine! It’s also scalable- make it for one or make it for 10! I’ll post the ingredients as if it were for one, and then customize to how you see fit! Comfort food at its finest, my friends J
Enjoy, and let me know what you think!
Chicken and Waffles
- 1 boneless organic chicken breast
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
- Salt + Pepper
Sweet Potato Waffles
- 1 baked sweet potato
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup sautéed onions
- Salt + Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Crack eggs in a small bowl and whisk together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the turmeric, coconut flour, salt and pepper.
- Dip the chicken breast into the yolk and make sure it’s evenly coated.
- Quickly transfer the chicken into the coconut flour bowl and coat evenly.
- Place chicken on a baking sheet lined with tin foil and bake for 15-18 minutes, checking to make sure it’s cooking thoroughly.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
Sweet Potato Waffle
- Mash the baked sweet potato (without skin) with egg, onions, and salt/pepper.
- Preheat waffle maker and thinly coat with ghee/coconut oil/avocado oil.
- Pour batter into the waffle maker and cook according to your waffle maker’s directions.
- Remove waffle from waffle maker and top with chicken. Enjoy!