It’s the time. September.
One of my favorite times of year- and not just because it’s my birthday month! As much as I love the warm weather and getting tan (sort of), autumn will always be the season I look forward to the most. Call me crazy (doesn’t everyone want eternal summer?), but I just love the trees changing, the air becoming crisper, the smell of the leaves as the fall to the ground, and the warm, cozy feeling when you curl up with a good cup of tea and a slice of apple pie.
That’s fall to me.
Plus there’s just so much to do! There’s apple picking, making the biggest leaf piles to jump in, taking tractor rides through the pumpkin patches, and chilly afternoons baking and watching your favorite kid Halloween movies (Jared knows, every year I get my line up ready for the best Disney Channel Halloween movies to watch. I’m literally 5 years old, and I embrace it!).
So I thought I’d kick this season off with a special twist on one of my favorites: Apple Pie alla Mode paleo pancakes. Yep, dessert for breakfast in the best way!
This stack literally tastes like apple pie. I topped mine with a dollop of coconut yogurt (a.k.a. creamy deliciousness in the form of just coconut milk- full fat- and probiotics) and sprinkled with walnuts and grain-less granola for an extra crunch 😉 Because what’s apple pie without the crust?
Don’t believe that this recipe could possibly taste like apple pie and be gluten-free, grain-free, sugar and sugar substitute-free, and dairy-free? Well, check it out below and let me know what you think J I think your taste buds will be in for a surprise by how delicious and simple this recipe is. Enjoy, sweet friends, and happy fall!
Apple Pie alla Mode Paleo Pancakes
Serves 1 but can be scaled up
- Ghee/coconut oil for greasing pancake skillet
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tbsp almond flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp Primal Palate Organic Apple Pie Seasoning (Saigon Cinnamon, Ginger, Allspice, Cardamom, Nutmeg)
- ¼ cup almond/coconut milk
- ½ gala apple, skin removed and diced
- 1-2 tsp ghee or coconut oil
- ½ tsp Primal Palate Organic Apple Pie Seasoning
- Almond Butter
- Coconut yogurt (or if you’re not dairy-free, your favorite yogurt!)
- Grainless Granola (I like Paleo Passion Foods’ granola- I used the Maple Sugar one specifically for this recipe!)
- More cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Coat diced apples with ghee and apple pie seasoning.
- Place on a baking sheet with tin foil and bake for about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set aside (turn off oven as well).
- In a small bowl, mix coconut and almond flours, eggs, milk, and spices.
- Once completely mixed, add in apple chunks. Mix thoroughly.
- Heat skillet with a little ghee or coconut oil.
- Spoon batter into small circle and cook until you can easily move a spatula underneath the pancake.
- Flip pancake and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Repeat with the rest of the batter.
- Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!