Goes apple picking one weekend. Comes home the proud new mama of 5 lbs of organic apples.
Yes, 5 lbs.
Needless to say, I’ve been on an apple-recipe marathon since Saturday, and I don’t see it stopping any time soon!
One of the recipes I decided to whip up is all sorts of deliciousness snuggled into a bowl of cozy fall flavors. You ready for this? Appaleoats (a.k.a. apple + paleo + oats!).
Yep, you heard it right! Apple crisp in the form of paleo oats (and yes, that means there are no actual oats in there!), and you’re going to want to make this ASAP because I’m already on to seconds!
All you need are the following:
Organic Cinnamon/Apple Pie Spice (I love Primal Palate’s blend, it’s all organic and absolutely delicious!)
Organic Grass-fed Ghee/Organic Coconut Oil (if you’re not vegan, I highly recommend using ghee, it gives it that rich, buttery taste)
Organic Coconut Flour
Organic Free-Range Egg
That’s it! Simple, right? No added sugars, gluten, fake shiz, etc. I like to accommodate everyone’s gut 🙂
Now, you may have noticed that I’ve been saying “organic” a lot in my posts lately. I will dive deeper into this in a post later on (look out for Monday!), but do what you can! It actually can be cheaper to shop organic if you’re going to your local farmer’s market (just make sure they’re certified or use organic practices). I do believe it is better for us and better for the environment, but I understand that it’s not better for everyone’s banking accounts at times. Another great option is Trader Joe’s- their organic selection is very price conscious (except for avocados- get those at Whole Foods because theirs are now cheaper than Trader Joe’s conventional ones!). BUT I digress…I’ll be talking about this on Friday!
Now back to this deliciousness. Definitely prep the apples the night before if you’re short on time in the morning (takes about 30 minutes for the apples, 10 minutes for the “oatmeal”), but if you have some time, the fresher the better!
Enjoy, and let me know what you think!
- 1 organic apple, skinned
- 2 tsp organic cinnamon/apple spice blend, separated
- 2 tbsp organic grass-fed ghee/organic coconut oil, separated
- 2 tbsp organic coconut flour
- 1 organic free-range egg
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Chop up the skinned apple and place into a small baking pan.
- Sprinkly 1 tsp of the cinnamon/spice blend onto the apples and add 1 tbsp of ghee on top.
- Place the baking pan into the oven and bake for 30 minutes, occasionally tossing the apples every 10 minutes or so until done.
- Once baked, remove the apple from the oven and mash with it fork. Next, add in the remaining spice, egg, and coconut flour, and mix thoroughly.
- Heat a medium skillet with the remaining ghee.
- Add apple batter to the pan and cook much like scrambled eggs.
- Once the mixture looks crumbly/not so wet, transfer to a bowl and add your favorite toppings!