Happy December, sweet friends!
MAN, has it been a while…almost a month since my last blog post! To be honest, I’m still trying to catch up with life, but I’m almost there 😉 The holidays always feel a little bit go-go-go, even though I feel we should be slowing down right about now!
Well, I’m making an effort to be more present, and it started with that beautiful first snowfall yesterday! Waking up on Saturday to snow falling fast to the ground made me feel all of the holiday feels.
Cue the Pandora Christmas Radio, the 25 Days of Christmas movie marathon, hot cocoa, and cookie baking galore while admiring that beautiful rainbow colored Christmas tree in the corner of our Brooklyn apartment. Oh, and we can’t forget are two sweet kitties, Kosmo and Nala, batting around the ornaments (thank goodness they’re so cute because it’s been a mess cleaning up after them haha!).
And so, these beauties were born.
Paleo Nut-free Hot Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies! I really don’t like saying that they’re for a specific diet (because they’re for everyone!) and I don’t follow a specific protocol myself- I just eat what feels good to me and leave it at that! That being said, I do want everyone to feel comfortable coming to my blog and finding a recipe that everyone can eat. Unfortunately, our food system is set up right now to describe who can eat what, and saying that they’re paleo is a heck of a lot easier than saying they’re free of everything BUT good taste (which they’re actually chock full of!).
So maybe a better name for them is simply Hot Chocolate Cookies and you can read about which ingredients they use below:
That’s it! I don’t use any sweetener except for cinnamon or this stevia (because it’s actually the ground of green leaf plant rather than a white processed chemical) in baking because of Jared’s diet (he struggled with chronic Lyme, so he was following an AIP-type diet for a while! But added back in cacao because #chocolate), but honestly once your taste buds have adapted, you really don’t need it.
So let’s stop talking about what these cookies are free of and rather what they’re FULL of: rich chocolatey gooeyness, coconutty sweetness, and buttery flakiness. Aka an orgasm in a cookie. Yeah, I went there.
They’re perfect for a cookie exchange or holiday party! Let me know if you make them and tag me in your post using #iyamlove J
Hot Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies
Makes 16 cookies
- 1 cup organic coconut flour
- ½ cup melted Fourth and Heart vanilla ghee (or regular ghee/coconut oil!)
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup organic cacao powder
- 1 heaping tsp organic cinnamon
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup organic coconut butter
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together organic coconut flour, cacao powder, cinnamon and sea salt.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat together eggs and melted ghee.
- Fold in wet ingredients to dry and combine completely.
- Roll into small balls and lightly press your thumb into the middle to create a thumbprint.
- Place on cookie sheet and repeat for the remainder of the batter.
- Place cookie sheet in oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and fill the thumbprint with ½ tsp of coconut butter each.
- Place cookie sheet back in oven for 5 minutes.
- Let cool on cookie rack.