These healthy baked vegan cake donuts are so good, you’d never know they’re also vegan, gluten-free, Paleo, sugar-free, and dairy-free! Topped with a dairy-free chocolate icing, they’re the perfect bite!
- 1 large Japanese sweet potato (about 15 ounces, baked and skin removed)
- 3 tbsp ground chia or flax seeds
- 5 tbsp warm water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 mixture paleo baking powder (see note below) (or 1 tsp baking powder)
- 3 tbsp almond butter
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup Chocolate Avocado Mousse from my Paleo Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe
- Preheat oven to 375F and grease a small donut pan with coconut oil.
- In a small bowl, combine ground chia or flax seed and warm water. Mix and let sit.
- In a large food processor, puree Japanese sweet potato until smooth.
- Add in ground chia/flax seed mixture, vanilla, coconut flour, cinnamon, almond butter, baking soda, baking powder and sea salt.
- Puree until smooth.
- Spoon batter into the donut pan evenly and bake in the oven for at least 35 minutes or until the tops of the donuts are golden.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- While the donuts are cooling, prepare the chocolate avocado frosting according to directions.
- Ice donuts with the frosting and enjoy!
- To make paleo baking powder, mix 1 tsp baking soda with 2 tsp white vinegar. Let foam and add to batter!