The best homemade Paleo pop tarts that taste and look just like the ones you had as a kid, but undetectably healthier! Completely vegan, gluten free, and dairy free, and stuffed with a creamy chocolate filling, these homemade chocolate pop tarts are the perfect breakfast or treat for kids and adults alike!
Paleo Pop Tarts:
- 2 cups cassava flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup cold water
- 3/4 cup cubed vegan butter or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp vegan butter, melted
Chocolate Filling & Icing:
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup vegan butter or coconut oil
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Start with the chocolate filling first.
- Place the vegan butter into a microwave safe bowl and heat in the microwave until melted. Remove from the microwave and stir in the chocolate chips until smooth. Add in the cacao powder and vanilla, and stir until smooth.
- Whisk together cassava flour, coconut flour, and coconut sugar.
- Add in the cubed vegan butter and cut the butter into the flour until it becomes a clumpy dough.
- Add in the cold water and vanilla extract until it becomes a thick pie dough.
- Press the dough lightly into a spherical disk between two pieces of parchment paper. If it’s a little sticky, place in the fridge for 5 minutes.
- Roll the dough out until you have more than 12 inches in width and 9 inches in height. To ensure that the cassava doesn’t stick, remove the top piece parchment paper from the dough after every roll, and flip the dough over to do the same on the other side.
- If your pie dough needs refrigeration after rolling out, place back into the fridge for 5 minutes.
- Measure out 12 inches and mark every 3 inches for the width of the pop tart. Measure out 9 inches in length and mark the 4.5 inch mark to signify the length of the pop tart. Slice according to your markings to make 8 rectangles. With the extra dough, you can roll out another pop tart, measuring two rectangles each 3 inches by 4.5 inches.
- Using a long spatula, place the rectangles onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Place the pop tart rectangles into the fridge to chill for 5-10 minutes while the oven preheats to 375F.
- If the chocolate filling is still liquid, you can place the chocolate filling into the fridge for a few minutes to thicken and let the pop tart rectangles sit outside the fridge so that the dough becomes flexible.
- When you’re ready to fill the pop tarts, brush 5 of the 10 pop tart rectangles with vegan butter. Place about 1-2 tbsp of chocolate filling in the middle of each of the buttered pop tart rectangles.
- Next, use a spatula to place an unbuttered pop tart rectangle on top of a chocolate filled pop tart rectangle. Seal the edges with a fork and brush the top of the pop tart with more vegan butter.
- Repeat for the remaining pop tarts, then place into the fridge to chill for 10 minutes.
- Place the pop tarts into the oven and bake for 20-24 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool before coating with more chocolate.
- When ready to top, spoon or drizzle the remaining chocolate ganache over each pop tart and enjoy!
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: baking
- Serving Size: 1 pop tart
Keywords: pop tarts, paleo, gluten free, vegan, grain free, refined sugar free, kid friendly