These easy homemade vegan Pop Tarts are incredibly delicious, kid friendly and just so happen to be vegan, dairy free, Paleo, and gluten free! Topped with a pink frosting, you won’t be able to stop eating these!
Paleo Vegan Crust:
- 2 cups cassava flour
- 3/4 cup vegan butter or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup water, plus more if needed
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp BareOrganics Beet Root Powder
- 1/2 cup coconut butter
- 1 tbsp BareOrganics Beet Powder
- Bring a small pot filled with the raspberries and water to a boil, then reduce the heat and cover.
- Let cook for 2-5 minutes, until the raspberries are soft.
- Remove from heat and mash the raspberries with a fork.
- Sift in arrowroot powder and beet root powder, then mix together until the arrowroot powder has completely dissolved.
- Place in a bowl or an airtight container in the fridge while preparing the pie dough.
Paleo Pop Tart Crust:
- In a large bowl, whisk together cassava flour, arrowroot powder, and coconut sugar.
- Add in cubed vegan butter, and cut the butter into the flour until it’s clumpy, but there’s still some flour left over.
- Add in the chilled water and vanilla extract, then mix the dough until it forms a large ball.
- Press the dough into a spherical disk, and wrap with plastic wrap. Chill for 20 minutes in the fridge.
- After chilling, flour a piece of parchment paper and place the dough in the middle. Flour the dough and a rolling pin, and roll out so that you can cut a 12 inch by 9 inch rectangle. The dough should be about 1/8″ thick.
- Measure out and make a dash every 3 inches on the 12 inch side. Then make a dash at 4.5 inches up the 9 inch side. Cut where you made the dashes to form 8 rectangles. Repeat rolling out the dough for at least one more pop tart if desired.
- Use a spatula to place each rectangle on a parchment lined baking sheet, and place the baking sheet into the fridge to chill for 5 minutes. Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Remove the baking sheet from the fridge and brush 5 of the 10 pop tart rectangles with melted vegan butter.
- Place 1-2 tbsp of raspberry jam in the middle of each buttered pop tart rectangle. Use a spatula to lift an unbuttered pop tart rectangle, and place it on top of the raspberry filled one. Repeat for each pop tart.
- Brush a little vegan butter on top of each pop tart and seal off the edges with the back of a fork. It’s okay if a little jam pops out here- just wipe it up with a clean cloth or paper towel, and make sure the edge is sealed together!
- Poke a few holes into the tops of the pop tarts, and if your pop tarts are soft, place them into the fridge to chill for 5 minutes. Otherwise, place them directly into the preheated oven and bake for 25-27 minutes, or until golden brown.
- When ready, remove from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes before frosting.
- When you’re ready to frost the pop tarts, melt the coconut butter in a microwave safe bowl.
- Mix in the beet powder thoroughly.
- Drizzle about 1-2 tbsps of coconut butter on top of each pop tart and serve!
Keywords: homemade pop tarts, vegan pop tarts, paleo pop tarts, gluten free pop tarts