Paleo Vegan Crust:
- 2 cups cassava flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 3/4 cup vegan butter or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 1/3 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp BareOrganics Beet Root Powder
- 1/2 cup coconut butter
- 1 tbsp BareOrganics Beet Powder
- Bring a small pot filled with the raspberries and water to a boil, then reduce the heat and cover.
- Let cook for 2-5 minutes, until the raspberries are soft.
- Remove from heat and mash the raspberries with a fork.
- Sift in arrowroot powder and beet root powder, then mix together until the arrowroot powder has completely dissolved.
- Place in a bowl or an airtight container in the fridge while preparing the pie dough.
Paleo Pop Tart Crust:
- In a large bowl, whisk together cassava flour, coconut flour, and coconut sugar.
- Add in cubed vegan butter, and cut the butter into the flour until it’s clumpy, but there’s still some flour left over.
- Add in the chilled water and vanilla extract, then mix the dough until it forms a large ball.
- Press the dough into a spherical disk between two pieces of parchment paper and roll out so that you can cut a 12 inch by 9 inch rectangle. See note for rolling instructions so that the cassava flour crust doesn’t stick to the parchment paper.
- Measure out and make a dash every 3 inches on the 12 inch side. Then make a dash at 4.5 inches up the 9 inch side. Cut where you made the dashes to form 8 rectangles. Repeat rolling out the dough for at least one more pop tart if desired.
- Use a spatula to place each rectangle on a parchment lined baking sheet, and place the baking sheet into the fridge to chill for 5 minutes. Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Remove the baking sheet from the fridge and brush 5 of the 10 pop tart rectangles with melted vegan butter.
- Place 1-2 tbsp of raspberry jam in the middle of each buttered pop tart rectangle. Use a spatula to lift an unbuttered pop tart rectangle, and place it on top of the raspberry filled one. Repeat for each pop tart.
- Brush a little vegan butter on top of each pop tart and seal off the edges with the back of a fork. It’s okay if a little jam pops out here- just wipe it up with a clean cloth or paper towel, and make sure the edge is sealed together!
- Poke a few holes into the tops of the pop tarts, and if your pop tarts are soft, place them into the fridge to chill for 5 minutes. Otherwise, place them directly into the preheated oven and bake for 25-27 minutes, or until golden brown.
- When ready, remove from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes before frosting.
- When you’re ready to frost the pop tarts, melt the coconut butter in a microwave safe bowl.
- Mix in the beet powder thoroughly.
- Drizzle about 1-2 tbsps of coconut butter on top of each pop tart and serve!
Cassava flour pie dough trick: to ensure that your cassava flour pie dough doesn’t stick to the parchment paper, make one single roll of the dough, peel back the top piece of parchment paper and place it back on top of the dough, flip the dough and peel back the once bottom piece of parchment paper. Roll the dough and repeat until it’s at its desired length and width.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
Keywords: homemade pop tarts, vegan, Paleo, gluten free, refined sugar free, dairy free