Classic strawberry shortcake that is undetectably Paleo! With an easy and quick gluten free biscuit, this Paleo strawberry shortcake will be a showstopper!
- 2 cups cassava flour
- 3/4 cup ghee or vegan butter, cut into cubes* see note for coconut oil option
- 1 egg, *or 2 tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 1/3 cup water
- 1 egg white, omit if vegan
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut or almond milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 lbs fresh strawberries, sliced
Coconut Whipped Cream:
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk or coconut cream
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
*Make sure to refrigerate the coconut cream overnight*
- Preheat the oven to 450F and grease a baking sheet with ghee.
- Combine unsweetened coconut milk with apple cider vinegar to create a buttermilk. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cassava flour, baking powder and sea salt.
- Add in 1/3 of the cubed butter or ghee at a time and begin to cut the butter or ghee into the flour, either using your hands or a pastry cutter.
- Once all of the butter is cut into the flour, add in coconut milk and ACV mixture, vanilla extract, maple syrup, egg, and egg white. Lightly beat egg and then fold wet into dry ingredients until it’s completely combined.
- Roll about 1/2 cup of the dough into a large ball and place onto the baking sheet. Repeat for the remaining dough.
- Place baking sheet into the oven and bake for 12 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- Remove and let cool before serving.
- Make sure to place the cans of coconut cream in the fridge the night before to ensure that the coconut fat has separated from the liquid.
- While the biscuits are cooling, scrape out the coconut fat into a large bowl, saving the coconut water in the can.
- Using a hand mixer, beat the coconut fat on medium speed until it starts to whip.
- Add in vanilla, maple syrup, and a spoonful at a time of the coconut water if needed for consistency.
- Whip for 2-3 minutes, until fluffy. If not ready to spoon onto the biscuits, place the coconut whipped cream back into the fridge.
Assembly of Strawberry Shortcakes:
- Slice each biscuit in half.
- Layer with one spoonful of whipped cream and several sliced strawberries onto first half of the biscuit.
- Place second half of the biscuit on top and finish with another layer of whipped cream and strawberries.
- Repeat for remaining biscuits.
*To make Dairy Free, swap in 3/4 cup solid, cold coconut oil
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
Keywords: strawberry shortcake, cassava flour, Paleo, gluten free