Undetectably Paleo and vegan strawberry shortcakes are the ultimate summer time healthy dessert recipe! Layered with coconut cream and fresh strawberries, this grain free biscuit is a light and refreshing treat!
- 2 cups cassava flour
- 3/4 cup coconut oil, softened
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed, mixed with 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup unsweetened dairy free milk, cold
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 lbs fresh strawberries, sliced
Coconut Whipped Cream:
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk or coconut cream
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
*Make sure to refrigerate the coconut cream overnight*
- Preheat the oven to 450F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine unsweetened coconut milk with apple cider vinegar to create a vegan buttermilk in one bowl, and the ground flaxseed with water in a separate bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cassava flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt.
- Add the coconut oil to the bowl, and cut the coconut oil into the flour with a fork until you get a sandy texture.
- Once all of the coconut oil is cut into the flour, add in the vegan buttermilk mixture, vanilla extract, maple syrup, and ground flaxseed mixture. Begin to mix the mixture with a spoon until most of the liquid is absorbed. If needed, you can use your hands to fully form the mixture into a consistent dough.
- Roll about 1/2 cup of the dough into a large ball and place onto the baking sheet. Repeat for the remaining dough.
- Place baking sheet into the oven and bake for 12 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- Remove and let cool before serving.
- Make sure to place the cans of coconut cream in the fridge the night before to ensure that the coconut fat has separated from the liquid.
- While the biscuits are cooling, scrape out the coconut fat into a large bowl, saving the coconut water in the can.
- Using a hand mixer, beat the coconut fat on medium speed until it starts to whip.
- Add in vanilla, maple syrup, and a spoonful at a time of the coconut water if needed for consistency.
- Whip for 2-3 minutes, until fluffy. If not ready to spoon onto the biscuits, place the coconut whipped cream back into the fridge.
Assembly of Strawberry Shortcakes:
- Slice each biscuit in half.
- Layer with one spoonful of whipped cream and several sliced strawberries onto first half of the biscuit.
- Place second half of the biscuit on top and finish with another layer of whipped cream and strawberries.
- Repeat for remaining biscuits.
- Serving Size: 1 shortcake with coconut whipped cream and strawberries
- Calories: 457
- Sugar: 17 g
- Sodium: 67.8 mg
- Fat: 29.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 23.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 45.9 g
- Fiber: 3.3 g
- Protein: 2.4 g
- Cholesterol: 0.3 mg
Keywords: paleo strawberry shortcake, vegan strawberry shortcake, vegan biscuit, paleo biscuit, paleo vegan biscuit