A healthier alternative to the traditional sugar cookie with the same classic taste! Easy and delicious, these cut-out cookies are a perfect holiday treat!
- 1 3/4 cups organic spelt flour (can sub in gluten-free 1-to-1)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 large egg (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup organic grass-fed butter or ghee* (room temperature)
- 1 tsp vanilla bean powder or extract
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (yes, powdered! Trust me!)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and sea salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the egg, butter, vanilla, and sugar using a hand mixer or mixing stand.
- Very carefully and slowly, pour flour mixture into the wet ingredients, beating slowly until it creates a thick and sticky dough.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (2 hours is optimal).
- When ready, preheat the oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the dough on a separate piece of parchment paper and place another piece on top.
- Roll the dough out between the pieces of parchment paper until it’s 1/4″ thick.
- Using your favorite cut-outs, make your cookies and re-roll scraps to continue making cookies.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until JUST starting to brown on the top.
- Let cool before you begin to ice!
- To make this recipe dairy-free, swap in 1/3 cup of coconut oil (softened) + 1/4 cup smooth and creamy almond butter. This is because coconut oil is 100% fat where as butter and nut butters have some water percentage so you want to make sure there’s still some moisture in your recipe.