These paleo chocolate cupcakes with chocolate avocado frosting are incredibly easy and filled with nut butter! They’re the perfect treat for all ages and completely gluten free!
Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Filling
- 20 oz sweet potato (about 2 large) (baked, skin removed)
- 2/3 cup cacao powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut or almond milk
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 4 tbsp nut butter (divided)
Chocolate Avocado Frosting
- 2 large avocados (extra ripe)
- 1/2 cup coconut or almond milk
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375F and line a muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners.
- In a large food processor, puree sweet potato.
- Add in all ingredients except for the nut butter and blend until smooth.
- Spoon batter evenly into the 12 cupcake liners.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool before adding in nut butter. Once the cupcakes are cool, cut a small circle into the top of the cupcake.
- Remove circular top and spoon a little of the cake out onto a plate. Add about 1 tsp of nut butter into the middle of the cupcake and place circular top back onto the cupcake.
- Repeat for the rest of the cupcakes.
- Puree avocados, cacao, milk, vanilla, and maple syrup in a large food processor.
- To pipe the frosting, spoon frosting into a large plastic bag and snip the corner of the bag with scissors. Squeeze on top of each cupcake once they’re cooled.