This grain-free, easy Paleo recipe is a much healthier alternative to traditional monkey bread recipes, but every bit as delicious! There’s even a vegan option! You’ll definitely want to try this Paleo dessert the next time you’re craving something sweet (or in need of an indulgent but easy breakfast recipe)!
Monkey Bread Dough
- 4 cups cassava flour
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, melted
- 2 cups unsweetened almond or coconut milk (divided) mixed with 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking powder (paleo-friendly)
Monkey Bread Filling
- 1/2 stick vegan butter, melted
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 serving of vegan cream cheese icing
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a bundt pan with coconut oil or olive oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder, sea salt, and vanilla. Set aside
- In a medium bowl, use a hand mixer to beat together the melted vegan butter, coconut milk mixed with apple cider vinegar, coconut sugar, applesauce, and vanilla.
- Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry and combine with a spoon until completely mixed.
- Set aside for a moment as you prepare the filling.
- In one small bowl, combine the coconut sugar and cinnamon together. Set another bowl with the melted sugar next to it.
- Using either a cookie scoop (preferred) or your hands, roll the batter into 1 tbsp sized dough balls and dip into butter, then into the coconut cinnamon sugar, then place the dough ball into the bundt pan. Repeat this pattern going all the way around the bundt pan and building the layers of the monkey bread.
- Any remaining butter and sugar, combined together and pour around all of the dough balls.
- Place into the oven and bake for at least 40 minutes.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
- For the icing, prepare the vegan cream cheese icing according to the directions, except add in another 1/4 cup of coconut milk to make the texture more drizzly.
- Category: Breakfast, Dessert
- Method: baking
Keywords: monkey bread, paleo monkey bread, gluten free vegan monkey bread, vegan monkey bread, cinnamon rolls