Paleo vegan flourless chocolate hazelnut cookies that are every bit as delicious as a spoonful of Nutella and made with 6 real and simple ingredients!
- 16 oz raw hazelnuts (skin removed)
- 2/3 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (can use maple syrup)
- 2 tbsp ground chia seed + 1/3 cup warm water (let sit for 5 minutes)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla bean powder or extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips (for outside coating)
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with tin foil.
- Roll hazelnuts onto the baking sheet and roast for about 5-7 minutes, just until they start to become aromatic.
- Remove hazelnuts from the oven and place into your food processor.
- Process until the nuts are lightly crushed, then pause and remove about 1/2 cup of crushed nuts. Set aside and begin blending the hazelnuts again until it’s a creamy butter.
- Once it’s a creamy butter, place the remaining ingredients in (except for the chocolate chips), and blend until it’s a thick and sticky dough.
- Roll into small dough balls and lightly press the top with the back of a spoon to flatten on a baking sheet with parchment paper or tin foil. These cookie dough balls don’t spread too much on their own, so don’t be afraid!
- Bake for about 10 minutes and let cool.
Optional chocolate coating:
- While the cookies are cooling, melt the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl for about 1 minute, pausing and stirring occasionally.
- Once the cookies are cooled, place the on a piece of parchment paper and lightly spoon a little chocolate onto half of each cookie and spread.
- Sprinkle hazelnut crumbs on top and enjoy!