Light, yet decadent baked chocolate donuts with a peanut butter glaze that are quick & easy to make and naturally gluten free and vegan, with a Paleo option! Tastes like a Reese’s cup in donut form, only lighter!
Baked Chocolate Donuts:
- 1 cup cassava flour, or 1-to-1 baking flour or all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup caca powder
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2/3 cup coconut milk with 1 tsp apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, olive oil, or avocado oil, melted
Peanut Butter Glaze:
- 1/2 cup peanut butter, smooth
- 1/3 cup melted vegan butter, or coconut oil, olive oil, or avocado oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Optional: chopped chocolate chips for topping
- Preheat the oven to 375F and grease a donut pan with olive oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cacao powder, coconut sugar, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Add in the applesauce, coconut milk, vanilla extract, and oil, and mix until completely clump-free.
- Either spoon the batter into the donut pan or place the batter into a ziplock bag, close it, and cut a corner off to pipe the batter into the pan. You’ll have to do 2 batches if you only have one 6-donut pan, so just keep that in mind!
- Place the donuts into the oven to bake for 22-24 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven to let cool, and repeat steps 4 and 5 until all batter is used.
- Let cool completely before glazing.
- When ready to glaze, combine the peanut butter, melted vegan butter or oil, and maple syrup in a small bowl.
- Dip the top side of one donut into the peanut butter and place onto a plate or drip rack. Repeat for the remaining donuts.
- Top with chocolate chips if desired, and enjoy!
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 donut with peanut butter glaze
Keywords: chocolate donuts, baked donuts, paleo donuts, gluten free donuts, vegan donuts