This quick and easy bbq jackfruit pulled pork is full of smokey flavor and a perfectly tender texture that all eaters love (vegan, vegetarian, and meat-eaters alike)! Ready in under 30 minutes, your entire family will just LOVE this vegan bbq jackfruit pulled pork.
- 1 tbsp cooking oil (such as coconut oil)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 14–ounce cans young jackfruit (I use Native Forest)
- 1 13–ounce jar chickpeas (I use Jovial Foods)
- 1 batch vegan bbq sauce (yields about 1 3/4 cups)
- Prep: Make sure that the bbq sauce is prepared and ready to go (takes about 2 minutes to make). Wash and rinse both the young jackfruit and the chickpeas.
- Shred the jackfruit: Either with a fork or clean hands, pull apart the young jackfruit pieces into shreds, similar to what pulled pork looks like. Set aside.
- Heat: In a medium pot or large skillet, heat the cooking oil on medium-high heat. Add the minced garlic, and continue cooking until fragrant. Reduce the heat to medium, and add in the pulled jackfruit and chickpeas. Sauté for 3-5 minutes, until the jackfruit begins to soften.
- Cook: Reduce the heat to simmer. Add in the barbecue sauce, and toss everything together to evenly coat. Cover the pot and allow the jackfruit to cook in the sauce for 20-30 minutes (the longer the better, but it will taste really good after 20 minutes).
- Serve: Once the jackfruit pulled pork is cooked, you can serve it on homemade vegan hamburger buns or gluten free vegan hamburger buns, toss in salad, make sandwiches, etc.! Store any leftovers in an airtight container, and in the fridge for up to 4 days. See post for freezing instructions.
Gluten free: Make sure that all ingredients you use for the bbq sauce are gluten free (the recipe is naturally designed to be gluten free, but that’s dependent on making sure that you’re using the intended ingredients!)
Oil Free: Omit the coconut oil, and cook the garlic in a few tablespoon of water at first.
Onions: If you’d like to make your bbq jackfruit pulled pork even closer to traditional pulled pork, you can add in 1/2 cup sliced onions to Step 3, along with sautéing the garlic.
Keywords: jackfruit pulled pork, vegan pulled pork, vegan bbq jackfruit, bbq jackfruit, vegan bbq pulled pork