These fudgy vegan brownies are better than any box mix brownie you’ll find. They’re decadently rich and chewy with an ultra chocolate flavor and perfect crinkly tops, yet are unbelievably dairy free, eggless, and vegan with the simplest ingredients. Slice into these easy vegan brownies in just 30 minutes and devour!
- 1 2/3 cup (200 g) all-purpose flour or gluten free 1:1 baking flour
- 1/2 cup (50 g) high quality Dutch-processed cocoa powder*
- 1/2 cup (113 g) vegan butter or coconut oil, melted
- 6 ounces vegan chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) aquafaba or soy milk, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (150 g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (100 g) brown sugar
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 1/2 cup coffee (you can sub water) or 1/2 cup (100 g) unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Additional 1/2 cup (80 g) vegan chocolate chips
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350F and line an 8×8″ or 9×9″ pan with parchment paper. Whisk together the ground flaxseed and coffee in a small bowl, and set aside to thicken.
- Dissolve the sugar: In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, brown sugar, aquafaba, vanilla extract, and flaxseed mixture. You can use a hand mixer to make it faster, but whisk vigorously until the sugar granules are completely dissolved. This is crucial, as this gives the vegan brownies their crinkle top. Set aside.
- Heat the chocolate: Heat the vegan butter until melted and hot in a heat-safe bowl (I do about 45 seconds). Then add in the chocolate chips. Allow the chocolate to sit for a few seconds to start melting. Then add in the cocoa powder as well, and whisk until the chocolate chips have completely melted and the cocoa powder is integrated into the mixture.
- Make the brownie batter: Use a rubber spatula to spoon the chocolate fudge mixture into the dissolved sugar mixture. Whisk until combined. Then add in the flour and sea salt, and gently whisk JUST until the flour is completely incorporated. The brownie batter will feel really thick. That’s okay! Continue whisking just until the flour is incorporated. Add in the chocolate chips, and fold into the brownie batter to evenly distribute.
- Bake: Spread the batter into the pan to the edges. Place the pan into the oven and bake for 28-30 minutes if using a 9×9″ pan, or until the toothpick comes out NEARLY clean. It’s okay if the middle is still a bit wiggly. It will solidify more as it rests. If you bake these brownies longer, they will be more cake-y than fudgy.
- Rest: Remove from the oven and let sit for 30 minutes in the pan to cool.
- Slice and serve! Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days or in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Gluten free: You can use gluten-free 1:1 baking flour or oat flour to make these vegan brownies. If using oat flour, please be sure to use the gram measurements (weighted measurements) rather than cups. I use King Arthur Measure for Measure gluten free flour for a general gluten free flour blend. Same baking temperature and time applies!
Dutch-Processed Cocoa Powder: Please try not to use cacao powder over Dutch-processed cocoa powder here! The fudgy texture comes from the way the cocoa powder is processed in what is known as “Dutch-process.” For brands, I love either Valrhona or Ghirardelli 100% cocoa Dutch Process cocoa powder!
- Serving Size: 1 brownie
- Calories: 295
- Sugar: 26.5 g
- Sodium: 4 mg
- Fat: 14.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 8.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 41.1 g
- Fiber: 3.1 g
- Protein: 3.6 g
- Cholesterol: 15.3 mg
Keywords: vegan brownies, vegan brownie recipe, fudgy vegan brownies, best vegan brownies, easy brownie recipe, how to make vegan brownies