These classic glazed vegan chocolate donuts are so easy to make and honestly taste like they came from a bakery! Super rich, moist, easy, easily gluten free for the best vegan donut recipe!
Baked Chocolate Donuts:
- 1 cup (125 g) all purpose flour or gluten free 1:1 baking flour blend or oat flour*
- 1/2 cup (50 g) cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup (100 g) unsweetened applesauce or dairy free unsweetened yogurt, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (100 g) granulated sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) dairy free milk with 1 tsp apple cider vinegar or use Forager Project drinkable cashew milk probiotic yogurt (resembles buttermilk)
- 1/4 cup (57 g) vegan butter or coconut oil, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup dairy free milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Prep: Measure out all ingredients before beginning. Grease a large 6-donut donut pan and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Whisk the dry ingredients: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Make the chocolate donut batter: In a large bowl, whisk together the melted vegan butter, dairy free milk mixture (buttermilk), applesauce, sugar, and vanilla. Add in the dry ingredients, and whisk again to combine just until there are no more dry streaks in the batter.
- Pipe the donut batter: Fill a large piping bag with the donut batter, and cut the tip of the bag. Pipe the donut batter into the donut pan. You should yield 4 large donuts, or 6 medium donuts, depending also on the pan you’re using.
- Bake the donuts: Place the donut pan into the oven to bake fro 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the donuts: Allow the donuts to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack to cool completely before glazing.
- Make the glaze: In a bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, dairy free milk, and vanilla.
- Glaze the donuts: Dip the chocolate donuts into the glaze then set them on a piece of parchment paper. The glaze will set in about 20 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy! Store any leftovers in an airtight container and in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Oat flour: If you’re using the oat flour, use the weight not the cup measurement for the oat flour
Keywords: vegan chocolate donuts, baked vegan donuts, glazed vegan donuts