Soft and sweet vegan peanut butter blossoms that taste just like the classic! With a healthy twist, these chewy and decadent peanut butter blossoms are the perfect treat at a Christmas cookie exchange. So easy to make, and naturally eggless, dairy free, easily gluten free, and even topped with a homemade vegan chocolate kiss! A classic Christmas cookie!
- 155 grams all purpose flour, or gluten free 1-to-1 baking flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (omit if your peanut butter or vegan butter contains salt)
- 113 grams vegan butter, room temperature
- 100 grams granulated sugar
- 50 grams coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 175 grams all-natural creamy smooth peanut butter
- 60 grams unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 24 homemade chocolate kisses (see note in the post)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar, for coating the cookie dough
- Please read through all instructions before beginning.
- Prep: It’s easiest to start by making the chocolate kisses first. See notes section for instructions. Then while the kisses are setting in the freezer, measure out all ingredients. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone cookie mat, and set aside.
- Make the dough: In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to cream together the vegan butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Then add in the peanut butter, applesauce, and vanilla extract. Mix until combined. Then add in the flour, baking soda, and salt (if using), and use a rubber spatula to fold the flour gently into the wet mixture just until combined. Chill the dough for 30 minutes in the fridge covered.
- While the dough is chilling: preheat the oven to 350F.
- Scoop the dough: Place the remaining granulated sugar in a small bowl. Use a cookie scoop (about 1.5 tbsp in size) or roll dough into small dough balls (about 1.5 tbsp each). Dip each cookie dough ball into the decorative sugar, coating it all around, then place the dough onto the baking sheet. They should be about 2 inches apart to prevent touching when they spread.
- Bake the cookies: Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges have set, and the middle is slightly puffy. Remove from the oven. While the cookies are baking, you can remove the chocolate kisses from their silicone mold and place them in a bowl while you wait.
- Place the chocolate kisses onto the cookies: Immediately press one chocolate kiss into each cookie lightly and immediately place cookies into the freezer so that the kisses doesn’t melt for 5 minutes.
- Storage: Serve and enjoy! Store any remaining cookies in the freezer for up to 3 months in an air tight container.
To make homemade Hershey’s kisses: melt 1/2 cup chocolate chips in a bowl and pipe melted chocolate into Hershey kiss mold. Place the mold into the freezer to chill for 15 minutes.
Gluten free: Use Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Gluten Free Baking flour in the blue bag for gluten free.
Make ahead: If you’re making these cookies for a cookie exchange, you can make the dough and store it wrapped tightly in the fridge for up to 2 days. Then the day you’re ready to make the cookies, remove the dough from the fridge, and proceed onto Step 4/5.
Keywords: vegan peanut butter blossoms, peanut butter blossoms, healthy peanut butter blossoms, vegan peanut butter cookies