This super moist and tender coconut lemon loaf cake is honestly better than any bakery! It’s naturally vegan, eggless, dairy free, and gluten free, yet you’d never know. Topped with a coconut frosting and toasted coconut flakes, you’re just going to love this tropical lemon loaf recipe, whether or not you’re vegan!
- 1/2 cup (113 g) coconut oil, room temperature
- 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (170 g) unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
- 2/3 cup (170 g) canned coconut milk, room temperature
- 1/4 cup (50 g) vegan dairy free yogurt, room temperature
- Juice from 3 medium lemons
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 3 1/2 cups (440 g) oat flour + 1 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut flakes (or coconut shreds)
- Coconut Buttercream:
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tbsp coconut milk
- Toasted coconut flakes and lemon wedges, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350F, and grease and line a 9″ loaf pan with coconut oil and parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to cream together the coconut oil and sugar. The sugar should begin to dissolve into the coconut oil, and the mixture should be fluffy. This should take about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the applesauce, coconut milk, dairy free yogurt, lemon juice, vanilla, and lemon zest, and mix again until all wet ingredients are combined.
- Sift in the oat flour, baking powder, and baking soda, and gently fold the dry into the wet just before there are no dry streaks left, being careful not to over mix. When the dry is almost mixed into the wet, add in the coconut shreds, and mix again.
- Pour the batter into your loaf tin, and bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow the lemon loaf to cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Then carefully remove with the parchment paper flaps on the side.
- To make the coconut buttercream, cream together the coconut oil and powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the coconut milk to help achieve a fluffy consistency. Spread on top of the cooled lemon loaf cake, and decorate with toasted coconut flakes and lemon wedges.
- Slice and enjoy! Store any leftover slices in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days, in the fridge for 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Coconut oil: You may also swap in vegan butter in place of coconut oil; however, your coconut lemon loaf cake will have less of a coconut flavor.
Gluten free; If you don’t need gluten free, you may also use all purpose flour at the same ratio.
Keywords: lemon loaf recipe, vegan lemon loaf cake, coconut lemon loaf, gluten free lemon loaf