The best of banana pudding and tiramisu combined, this unbelievably rich and creamy vegan banana pudding tiramisu is layered with homemade espresso-soaked ladyfingers, a from scratch creamy vanilla “mascarpone” pudding, fresh banana, and homemade vegan whipped cream. Then we finish with a dusting of cocoa powder, vanilla wafers, and more bananas! It’s the ultimate chilled summer treat!
Vegan Vanilla “Mascarpone” Pudding:
- 3 cups (720 mL) unsweetened vanilla soy milk or almond milk
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) unsweetened dairy free yogurt
- 3/4 cup (150 g) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup + 1 tbsp (100 g) cornstarch or arrowroot starch
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup (78 g) vegan butter, cold
- 2 cups (250 grams) all purpose flour or sifted gluten-free 1-to-1 baking flour (if doing gluten-free, add in 1 tsp arrowroot powder)
- 2 tbsp (20 g) cornstarch or arrowroot starch
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) aquafaba*
- 3/4 cup (150 g) granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup (50 g) dairy free yogurt or unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
- 2 tbsp melted vegan butter or avocado oil, room temperature
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 cup (30 g) powdered sugar
Vegan Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup (240 mL) vegan heavy cream, cold
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
Toppings & Assembly:
- 3–4 large bananas
- 1 cup brewed espresso (decaf if desired)
- Crushed vegan vanilla wafers (see notes for gluten free)
- Cocoa powder
- Sliced banana
- Prep: You’ll first start by making the vegan ladyfingers, then move onto the pudding, followed by the assembly of the banana tiramisu, and toppings. Measure out all ingredients for the ladyfingers. Preheat the oven to 390F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Make the ladyfinger batter: Follow the instructions for making and baking the vegan ladyfingers in this post.
- Next, make the vanilla mascarpone pudding: In a large pot (and without turning on the heat), add in the dairy free milk, dairy free yogurt, sugar, cornstarch, vanilla extract, vanilla paste, and sea salt. Whisk together until the cornstarch has completely dissolved and there are no more clumps. If it’s easiest, you can first mix the cornstarch with 1 cup of the dairy free milk to create a cornstarch “slurry,” then pour that into the pudding ingredients.
- Heat: Bring the vanilla pudding to a bowl, stirring constantly on medium heat. Once it’s bubbling, reduce to medium low, and continue stirring until it feels a bit effortful to stir. The pudding will have thickened up (about 5-7 minutes after heating). Once thickened, remove the pudding from the heat, and add in the vegan butter cold. Stir until the butter has melted. Pour the pudding into a large bowl and set aside.
- Assembly: Now it’s time to assemble our vegan banana pudding tiramisu! Start by gathering an 8×8 square baking dish, your ladyfingers, the vanilla pudding, brewed espresso, and 2 large bananas at first. Take one ladyfingers and dip it into the espresso with a fork. Turn it over to completely soak then remove it from the espresso and place it onto the bottom of the baking pan. Repeat with the other ladyfingers (I used 10 per ladyfinger layer), laying them in a row across the pan (see photos). Then pour on top half of the vanilla pudding mixture. Use an offset spatula to smooth the pudding. Then slice 1 banana banana, and place the banana coins on top. You might need more than 1 large banana for this layer.
- Repeat & Chill: Repeat this layering process once more with the ladyfingers and vanilla pudding, but don’t lay the banana coins on top just yet. This is because we don’t want the bananas to brown due to oxidization. Instead, once you’ve finished the pudding layer, place a piece of plastic wrap over the dish and wrap it tightly. Place the dish into the fridge to set for 4-5 hours, or overnight.
- When ready to serve: Right before serving, you’ll make the whipped cream. Place the mixing bowl of a stand mixer or just a large bowl into the freezer 10 minutes before making the whipped cream, and make sure the heavy cream is cold. Then using a whisk attachment for the stand mixer or a hand mixer, add in the heavy cream and begin to mix on medium speed. After about 2 minutes, add in the sugar, along with the cornstarch (to help hold its shape). Increase the speed to high and continue to mix for 3-5 minutes, or until you reach semi-stiff peaks, being careful not to over mix the vegan whipped cream.
- Top & serve: Once the whipped cream is made, remove the banana pudding tiramisu from the fridge, and remove the plastic wrap. Slice the remaining banana and place the coins on top of the vanilla pudding layer. Then top with the whipped cream, followed by a dusting of cocoa powder, crushed vegan vanilla wafers, and more sliced banana. Slice and serve!
- Storage: Store any leftovers in an airtight container and in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Aquafaba: This is the liquid in your chickpea can or jar. It acts just like an egg white and is an amazing egg substitute in baking!
Vegan gluten free vanilla wafers: You can use my recipe for gluten free vegan vanilla wafers in my salted caramel vegan banana pudding recipe.
Keywords: banana pudding tiramisu, banana pudding, tiramisu, vegan banana pudding