Soft, gooey, and cheesy vegan garlic bread made in the form of a cheesy pull apart bread! Easy and fun to make, this vegan pull apart bread is full of fresh rosemary, garlic, and gooey vegan cheese for the ultimate vegan comfort food! Perfect for a tear and share appetizer or side!
- 3/4 cup dairy free milk, heated to 110F
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 3 1/4 cups + 1 tsp bread flour
- 2 tsp activated yeast
- 1/2 cup salted vegan butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
Garlic butter filling:
- 1/2 cup salted vegan butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh or store bought minced garlic
- 1 cup shredded vegan cheese, such as Violife mozzarella, cheddar, or Colby Jack
- Grease a medium bowl with olive or coconut oil, and set aside. Generously grease a 9″ loaf pan with olive or coconut oil as well, and set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, combine the dairy free milk, coconut sugar, 1 tsp bread flour, and activated yeast. Mix with a wooden spoon, and cover. Place in a warm area to activate for about 10 minutes. The yeast should begin to foam and smell yeast-like (similar to beer).
- Once activated, add in the melted vegan butter and unsweetened applesauce. Use a wooden spoon or rubber spatula to stir together. Sift in the remaining bread flour and chopped rosemary. Use the wooden spoon to combine at first. Once almost combine, you can begin to knead the dough in the bowl. This should take about 2 minutes.
- Once it starts to form a ball, lightly flour a clean surface and knead the dough for about 5 minutes, until it forms a smooth dough ball.
- Place the dough ball into the medium sized greased bowl. Cover with a clean dish towel and place in a warm area (ideally above 80F) to rest for about 60 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- While the dough is rising, prepare the filling. Use a spoon or fork to mix together the softened vegan butter, minced garlic, and rosemary until it resembles a garlic and herb spread. Set aside.
- Once doubled in size, lightly punch down the dough ball in the bowl to release the air. Lightly flour a clean surface again and start to form the dough ball into a rectangle. Roll the dough using a floured rolling pin to be about 18″ in length and 12x” in width.
- Spread the filling onto the top of the dough until it reaches the edges. Make sure it covers the dough evenly. Use a pizza cutter or large kitchen knife to carefully cut about 12 squares (4 rows length wise and 3 columns width wise). They don’t need to be exact.
- Pick one of the large squares and sprinkle with about 1-2 tbsp shredded vegan cheese. Top with a second square and repeat. If there are any smaller squares, you can lightly stretch the piece to match the others. Repeat until there are no more squares left.
- Use the pizza cutter and cut the stack in half from the top of the stack (cutting it down, like a highly stacked sandwich). Place one half in the loaf pan, followed by the second half.
- Cover the loaf pan with a clean kitchen towel and place by or on top of the oven while it preheats to 375F. This allows the loaf to rest for 30 minutes. Once rested, place the loaf pan into the oven to bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow the garlic loaf to cool for 10 minutes in the pan before carefully removing the loaf to serve. Tear, share and enjoy!
Keywords: vegan garlic bread, cheesy garlic pull apart bread, garlic pull apart bread, dairy free garlic bread, cheesy garlic bread, homemade garlic bread, vegan bread recipe