This gooey and sweet chocolate hazelnut bread wreath is full of chocolate ripples within the softest and fluffiest sweet bread, all braided in the form of a wreath! Made entirely vegan, this braided bread wreath is a wonderful holiday centerpiece and breakfast!
- 1 1/4 cups dairy free milk, heated to 110F
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar, divided
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
- 1/3 cup Flora Plant Butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or paste
- 4 3/4–5 cups all purpose or bread flour
- 1/2 cup chocolate hazelnut spread
- 3 tbsp Flora Plant Butter, melted
- Grease a medium sized bowl with Flora Plant Butter and set aside.
- Make sure that the dairy free milk is exactly 110F. Any hotter and the yeast will die, any cooler and the yeast won’t activate.
- Pour the dairy free milk into a large bowl, and add in 1 tbsp of coconut sugar and the dry yeast. Whisk together, cover, and let activate for 10 minutes in a warm area.
- When activated, add in the applesauce, softened Flora Plant Butter, and vanilla extract, and mix. Sift in the flour, and knead the dough together for 3-4 minutes until it forms a small and soft dough ball.
- Place the dough into the medium greased bowl, cover with a cloth or wrap, and place into a warm area to let rise for 1 hour. It should be double in size. If it’s at least 80F outside, you can place the bowl outside, otherwise you can place it in the oven (which is turned off) and turn on the oven light or start preheating the oven to 350F and place the bowl near or on top of the oven.
- After an hour, lightly punch down the dough. Lightly flour a piece of parchment paper, and place the dough in the middle. Sprinkle a little extra flour on top of the dough and flour the rolling pin. Roll the dough out to be a large rectangle (12 in x 18 in).
- Heat the chocolate hazelnut spread and 2 tbsp of Flora Plant Butter together for 30 seconds to soften. Make sure the Flora Plant Butter is mixed into the hazelnut spread. Gently spread the mixture to reach the edges of the rectangular dough.
- Tightly roll the dough to form an 18″ log. Then slice the log in half. Begin to twist the ends of sliced dough away from each other and then wrapped together to form a twist similar to Babka. Once the log is completely twisted, bring both ends of the log to meet and form a wreath.
- Carefully slip a large baking sheet underneath the parchment paper so that you don’t have to move the wreath. Cover the wreath and place near a warm area to rest for 20 minutes while the oven preheats to 350F.
- Once preheated, place the wreath inside the oven and bake for 27-33 minutes, or until the dough is lightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow the bread to cool for 10 minutes.
- Lightly brush the bread with the remaining tablespoon of Flora Plant Butter. Dust with powdered sugar if desired, and enjoy!