This super fudgy and rich homemade chocolate brownie ice cream is full of fudgy brownie bites and creamy chocolate ice cream! UNDETECTABLY vegan, refined sugar free, and gluten free! The perfect dairy free homemade vegan ice cream for all eaters, vegan or not!
Based off of my vegan chocolate ice cream recipe:
- 1 batch vegan fudge brownies (made gluten free as needed)
- 555 ml unsweetened vanilla oat milk
- 180 grams coconut sugar
- 7 ounces vegan dark chocolate (I used 85% chocolate)
- 50 grams cocoa powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- Recommended Ice Cream Maker: Cuisinart ICE-30BC Pure Indulgence 2 Quart Automatic Ice Cream Maker
- Make sure that you’ve frozen the ice cream container for at least 24 hours before beginning.
- Prepare the vegan brownies first: you’ll want to make the brownies so that they’re cooling in time with the custard I recommend making the brownies first, then follow with the custard immediately afterwards. This will allow the brownies to fully cool before being churned into your ice cream, which will prevent the ice cream from melting. You can make these brownies gluten free or just regular vegan brownies. Once baked and cooled, slice half of the brownies into tiny cubes, and save the rest for serving with the ice cream. You can place the brownie bites into the freezer while you’re making the ice cream.
- Make the chocolate custard: in a medium saucepan on medium heat, whisk together all the ingredients. Continue whisking until the chocolate has completely melted into the oat milk. Remove the custard from the heat and allow the mixture to cool at room temperature for 10 minutes. Then transfer the custard to chill in the fridge for 2-3 hours. There should be no heat coming from the custard when you’re ready to make the ice cream. If there is, then you need to chill longer. Any heat will alter the temperature of the ice cream mixer, preventing the ice cream from actually forming.
- Make the ice cream: once your custard is chilled, follow the instructions of your ice cream machine, pouring the custard into the ice cream container and turning the machine on. With the specific ice cream maker I recommended, it took about 25 minutes to churn.
- Stir in the brownie bites: add the brownie bites to the ice cream while it’s churning at or around 25-30 minutes in. Continue churning for another 5 minutes to ensure that the brownie is evenly distributed.
- Once the ice cream has churned and thickened, transfer the ice cream to an ice cream storage container and store in the freezer. Scoop and serve as desired with the remaining brownies!
Vegan Chocolate Recommendations: I recommend using either Pascha Chocolate 100% chocolate chips (the ice cream will still be very sweet, just really rich!) or their stevia sweetened chocolate chips.
Oat milk: you can make your own oat milk or use store bought. For store bought, I recommend Forager Project or Planet Oat.
Sugar: you can use granulated sugar or coconut sugar. I haven’t tried a keto-friendly granulated sugar and know that sometimes those alter the taste and texture drastically so use with caution (i.e. I can’t recommend it, but if you want to experiment, you’re more than welcome too!)
Keywords: chocolate brownie ice cream, fudge brownie ice cream, homemade vegan ice cream, vegan ice cream