Sweet and juicy Paleo cherry pie that’s easy to make and is also vegan! With a gluten free crust and cornstarch free filling, this cherry pie will wow any taster!
Paleo Vegan Pie Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups cassava flour, *see note for subs
- 1/2 cup vegan butter or coconut oil, softened
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 4–6 tbsp cold water
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
Cherry Pie Filling:
- 4 cups pitted red cherries
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, whisk together cassava flour, baking soda, and sea salt.
- Add in chopped softened butter and using a fork, knead it into the flour to create a crumble.
- Add in maple syrup and water and knead until it’s a soft and stick dough.
- Place the dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper and gently roll out the dough.
- Place the dough in the fridge for 10 minutes and grease a 9″ pie dish with coconut or olive oil.
- Drape the chilled dough over the pie dish and press into the dish to make the pie crust. Save some dough for decoration!
- Roll out the remaining dough and cut into stars.
- Place the pie crust and stars back into the fridge and preheat the oven to 375F.
- While the pie crust is chilling and the oven is preheating, toss the cherries in a large bowl with the arrowroot powder and vanilla. Set aside.
- When the oven is preheated, poke some holes into the bottom of the pie crust and only place the pie crust (not the decorations) into the oven to blind bake for 15-20 minutes, or until lightly golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and fill with the cherries. Add on the star shaped pie dough.
- Cover the pie with tinfoil and bake for 50-55 minutes at 375F. Check on the pie towards the 35 minute mark to see how your crust is holding up.
- Remove from the oven and let cool before serving.
Keywords: cherry pie, Paleo, vegan, dairy free, gluten free, refined sugar free, fourth of july, summer