This easy baked vegan French toast casserole is a perfect no-stress holiday breakfast recipe! With sweet notes of cinnamon and vanilla, this vegan custard-y casserole bake tastes just like the classic!
- 1 loaf vegan Challah bread or vegan brioche (450 g), gluten-free if needed*
- 2 1/2 cups (360 mL) dairy-free milk
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) aquafaba
- 1/2 cup (110 g) coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (60 g) cornstarch or arrowroot starch
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp vegan butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- Prep: Grease a large baking dish (about 9×13″) with olive or coconut oil. Roughly chop the bread slices into cubes or slice, and place them into the dish. Set aside.
- Make the batter: Whisk the dairy free milk, sugar, aquafaba, cornstarch, maple syrup, vegan butter, vanilla, cinnamon, and sea salt together.
- Soak: Pour the mixture over the cubed bread and use a large spoon to gently toss any uncoated pieces. Cover the dish with aluminum foil or an oven-safe casserole cover and place in the fridge to soak for at least 1 hour. About 45 minutes in, check the slices and flip them to evenly coat. After about 30 minutes, you can begin to preheat the oven to 375F (see notes section for overnight option).
- Bake: Once preheated, remove the French toast dish from the fridge and place into the oven, still covered. Bake covered for 30 minutes, then remove the cover for the last 10 minutes.
- Serve: Remove from the oven. Serve with powdered sugar, coconut whipped cream, maple syrup, fresh fruit, and extra cinnamon!
- If preparing this for an overnight option, make the recipe up until Step 3.
- Leave the French toast casserole in the fridge covered overnight. Then when ready to finish, preheat the oven to 375 and follow the directions from Step 4 on.
Gluten Free: Use gluten-free bread for gluten-free French toast casserole.e
Keywords: vegan French toast casserole, easy French toast casserole, French toast casserole, vegan French toast recipe