This easy and delicious Paleo vegan millionaires shortbread is incredibly rich and decadent, yet entirely dairy free, gluten free, grain free, and nut free! Filled with a coconut caramel sauce, it’s the perfect indulgence!
- 2 cups (250 g) oat flour or all purpose flour (if not gluten free)
- 1 cup (226 g) salted vegan butter or coconut oil, cold
- 1/3 cup (80 g) maple syrup
- 3 tbsp chickpea flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Caramel Layer: (or sub in this quick & easy vegan caramel sauce)
- 1 can (11.25 oz or 330 g) vegan coconut sweetened condensed milk (sub oat sweetened condensed milk if desired)
- 1 cup (226 g) vegan butter or coconut oil
- 1 cup (200 g) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 g) maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (250 g) vegan chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp vegan butter or coconut oil
- Sea salt for topping
- Prep: Measure out all ingredients before beginning. Line an 8×8 square baking pan with parchment paper on all sides and bottom of the pan. Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Make the shortbread first: Add all shortbread ingredients into a large food processor. Blitz the ingredients together until a thick dough forms. If you don’t have a food processor, start by creaming together the vegan butter and maple syrup with vanilla in a large bowl. Then fold in the flours to the mixture with a silicone spatula until a thick dough forms. Press the dough into the baking pan in an even layer and make sure the dough reaches the edges of the baking pan. If the dough is sticky, use the silicone spatula or chill the dough for 10-15 minutes in the fridge then spread again.
- Bake the shortbread layer: Poke a few holes into the shortbread, and place the baking pan into the oven to bake for 15-17 minutes, or until the shortbread is lightly golden. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Make the vegan caramel sauce: If you’re planning on making the quick & easy vegan caramel sauce, please follow these directions for the caramel, then proceed to the next step. Otherwise make this classic vegan caramel here. In a medium sauce pan, add in the coconut condensed milk, vegan butter, brown sugar, and maple syrup. Heat on medium-high, and continue to stir until it boils, about 5-7 minutes. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low, making sure that the mixture is still simmering (it’s okay if it bubbles a bit more). Stir in the vanilla extract, then continue to stir the caramel occasionally (every few minutes to 5 minutes) for the next 30-40 minutes. As you cook the caramel, it will thicken, but at first it will be very liquify-and soupy. When it’s ready, it will start to more easily pull away from the sides of the sauce pan without pouring back in, and it will feel thicker to stir as well.
- Pour the caramel sauce onto the shortbread layer: Pour the prepared caramel sauce onto your shortbread layer, making sure that the caramel reached the edges of the pan and creates an even layer. Then place the shortbread into the fridge to set for 2 hours. To speed up the process, you can place the shortbread bars into the freezer after an hour in the fridge. Chill them in the freezer for only 30 minutes.
- Make the chocolate: Once the caramel layer is set (it should not wiggle and it will feel like a caramel chew if pressed- but keep it in the fridge as you make the chocolate layer), make the chocolate layer. Melt the chocolate until liquid and hot, then stir in the vegan butter until melted. Then allow the mixture to cool for 10 minutes.
- Finish the millionaire shortbread: Remove the caramel layer from the fridge, and pour the chocolate layer on top of the caramel. Spread the chocolate to reach the edges of the pan. Then place the millionaire shortbread back into the fridge to set for 30 minutes.
- Slice and serve! Once set, slice the millionaire shortbread into 16-32 bars, and sprinkle with sea salt if desired. Serve and enjoy! You can keep these bars out at room temperature for up to 1 hour. Then keep them in the fridge for best storage.
Gluten free: These vegan millionaire shortbread bars are already naturally gluten free. However, if you don’t need gluten free, swap in all purpose flour.
Caramel: There are two methods that I describe for the caramel. Please read the post for all tips and tricks.
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 334
- Sugar: 30.6 g
- Sodium: 22.8 mg
- Fat: 15 g
- Carbohydrates: 38.7 g
- Protein: 1.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan millionaire shortbread, vegan millionaire bars, paleo millionaire shortbread, paleo millionaire bars