This incredibly elegant and delicious vegan pumpkin roll cake is as amazing as it is easy! With a super moist and soft pumpkin cake rolled between layers of vegan cream cheese frosting, this pumpkin roll cake only needs 6 ingredients and is naturally eggless, dairy free, oil free, and easily gluten free! The perfect Thanksgiving dessert or holiday cake for your table!
Vegan Pumpkin Roll Cake:
- 156 grams all purpose flour or gluten free 1:1 baking flour
- 150 grams coconut sugar or organic granulated sugar*
- 1 tbsp pumpkin spice blend
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 150 grams pumpkin puree
- 150 grams unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar, for sprinkling over the baked cake
Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
- 220 grams vegan cream cheese, room temperature
- 113 grams vegan butter, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Please read through all instructions before beginning.
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 375F. Line a 10×15″ sheet pan with edges (or jelly roll pan) with parchment paper. Lightly oil on top of the parchment paper to ensure that the pumpkin roll cake will peel off easily (it’s an oil-free cake, so it needs a bit of help with the peeling). Measure out all ingredients for the pumpkin roll cake.
- Make the batter: in a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, pumpkin spice, ground cinnamon, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, applesauce, and vanilla extract. Add in the flour mixture, and gently fold together with a rubber spatula until just combined and there are no more flour clumps.
- Bake the pumpkin cake: Pour the batter onto the prepared pan, and spread the batter until it reaches the edges of the prepared pan. Place the pan into the oven to bake for 14-16 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven.
- Roll the cake while it’s still hot: Immediately dust the top of the pumpkin cake in powdered sugar. Then carefully place a clean kitchen towel, followed by a cooling rack top-side down over the pumpkin cake. Use your oven mitts to carefully flip the pumpkin cake onto the cooling rack, the parchment paper facing up and the top of the cake facing down. Carefully remove the parchment paper from the pumpkin cake. Use the kitchen towel to roll the cake with the towel, much like how you roll a Buche de Noel cake. You can view the video tutorial here starting at minute 2:20. Keep the rolled pumpkin cake on a cooling rack and allow the cake to fully cool before making the frosting. This will take about 2-3 hours to fully cool.
- When ready to frost, make the cream cheese frosting: Add vegan butter and vegan cream cheese to a large bowl and beat together with a hand mixer. Add in 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time, continuing the beat the mixture until it’s a thick buttercream. Add in vanilla and continue to cream until fluffy. Store the frosting in the refrigerator for a few minutes while you unroll the cake.
- Unroll and frost the cake: When the cake is cool, carefully unroll the cake , leaving it still laying on the kitchen towel. Spread the cream cheese frosting evenly over the pumpkin roll cake, leaving about 1/2″ space on both length sides of the cake for easy rolling. Begin to re-roll the cake as it was, this time without the kitchen towel. Once rolled, carefully place the cake onto a plate (you can leave the kitchen towel underneath if easier, like I did), and place the cake into the fridge to chill for 1 hour.
- Slice and serve! When ready to serve, dust the cake with extra powdered sugar if desired, slice and serve! Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days or in the freezer sliced for up to 2 months.
Gluten free: Use gluten free 1:1 baking flour, such as Bob’s Red Mill.
Vegan Cream cheese: My preferred brand of vegan cream cheese is Violife. They are amazing!
Using homemade pumpkin puree: I have not personally tried this, but have heard that this method of making homemade pumpkin puree may work. You really have to make sure you’re getting the same consistency as canned, however. I cannot guarantee results, as I have not personally tried this.
Sugar: not all granulated sugars are vegan. Be sure that the brand that you’re using is truly vegan and doesn’t use bone char.
Keywords: vegan pumpkin roll cake, pumpkin roll cake, pumpkin roll cake recipe