These unbelievably vegan shortbread cookies taste just like the classic and use just 5 ingredients! Chewy, crisp, “buttery,” and sweet, this Christmas shortbread recipe is the perfect recipe for a cookie exchange!
- 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour or gluten free flour
- 1 tbsp arrowroot starch or cornstarch
- 1 cup vegan butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Vegan royal icing
- Vegan buttercream
- Vegan sprinkles
- Please read through all instructions before beginning.
- Prep: Measure out all ingredients. Make sure you have a round and ridged cookie cutter, such as one you would use for Linzer cookies.
- Whisk the dry ingredients: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and arrowroot starch. Set aside.
- Make the dough: In a large bowl, use a hand mixer or a stand mixer with paddle attachment, and cream together the vegan butter and sugar until fluffy and light in color, about 3 minutes. Add in the vanilla extract, and mix until incorporated. Sift in the flour, and use a silicone spatula to fold until the flour has completely mixed into the dough. This will take a bit of effort, but it does entirely mix into the butter.
- Chill the dough: Place the shortbread dough onto a piece of parchment paper or plastic wrap, wrap it tightly, and refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes or until the dough is completely cold again.
- While the dough is chilling: Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll out the dough: Lightly flour a piece of parchment paper or a clean surface, as well as the dough and rolling pin. Roll the dough to be 1/3″ thick. Use your cookie cutter and cut out the shortbread cookies. Peel back the dough and use a spatula to transfer the pre-cut cookies to your baking sheet. Make sure that the cookies are at least 2″ apart. Repeat the process for the remaining dough. You should yield 32 shortbread cookies.
- Chill the cookies again: Place the cookie sheets into the freezer this time, and chill the dough while the oven preheats to 350F.
- Bake the cookies: Once the oven is preheated, place the chilled baking sheets into the oven, and bake the cookies for 12-14 minutes, or until the edges are lightly golden and set. Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to cool for 10 minutes to solidify (they will be soft when they first come out of the oven).
- Decorate the shortbread! Once the cookies are cooled, you can dip them into royal icing and pipe Christmas trees onto them. Sprinkle with vegan confetti sprinkles and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 cookie no decoration
- Calories: 77
- Sugar: 4.7 g
- Sodium: 55.3 mg
- Fat: 2.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.7 g
- Fiber: 0.2 g
- Protein: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan shortbread, christmas shortbread, shortbread cookies, easy shortbread cookies