Deliciously creamy gluten free eggnog cake that’s full of holiday flavor! Naturally vegan and dairy free as well, this eggnog cake is perfect for the holidays!
- 1 1/4 cup vegan egg nog + 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 1/2 cups gluten free 1-to-1 baking flour with 1 tbsp arrowroot starch (this helps the grittiness in the flour- you can also use all purpose flour or cake flour if you’re not gluten free)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup dairy free yogurt
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract or 1/4 tsp vanilla powder
Vegan Buttercream Frosting:
- 1 cup vegan butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract.
- Please read through all instructions before beginning.
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350F and grease three 8″ cake pans or 6″ cake pans with olive or coconut oil. Line with parchment paper and set aside. Combine the vegan eggnog and apple cider vinegar together and set aside to curdle. This will be called the eggnog “buttermilk” from now on.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- Make the batter: In a stand mixer with paddle attachment or in a large bowl with hand mixer, cream together the vegan butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Add in the applesauce, dairy free yogurt, and vanilla extract, and cream together until smooth.Sift in about half of the dry mixture followed by half of the eggnog buttermilk and mix again. Then add in the remainder of both and mix just until combined.
- Bake: Pour the batter evenly among the three cake pans and place into the oven to bake for 25-35 minutes. You’ll need longer if making three 6″ cake pans.
- Cool: Remove from the oven, and let cool for at least 30 minutes before frosting. There should be no warmth to the cakes at all.
- Make the frosting: To make the frosting, begin by using a hand mixer to cream the butter. Then sift in 1 cup at a time of powdered sugar until it’s all mixed together. Add in the vanilla extract.
- Decorate and enjoy: Frost your cake and serve!
Gluten free: I used Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Baking flour here.
Keywords: eggnog cake, gluten free eggnog cake, vegan eggnog cake