This is the ultimate vegan lemon loaf cake recipe! Super moist and tender, secretly gluten free with just oat flour, and topped with a lemon drizzle, this lemon loaf tastes even better than Starbucks!
- 3 1/2 (380 g) cups oat flour
- 2 tsp arrowroot starch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup (113 g) vegan butter or coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1 cup (200 g) organic granulated sugar or coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup (150 g) unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
- 2/3 cup (170 g) unsweetened dairy free milk, room temperature
- 1/4 cup (50 g) sour cream, room temperature*
- Juice from 2 medium lemons
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 cup powdered sugar, for the glaze
- 1 tbsp dairy free milk, for the glaze
- 2–3 tsp lemon juice, for glaze
- Preheat the oven to 350F, and grease and line a 9″ loaf pan with olive oil and parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oat flour, arrowroot starch, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- Mix the wet ingredients: In a large bowl, use a hand mixer or whisk to whisk together the vegan butter and sugar. The sugar should begin to dissolve into the butter. This should take about 2 minutes. Add in the applesauce, sour cream, lemon juice, vanilla, and lemon zest, and mix again until all wet ingredients are combined.
- Finish the batter: Sift in the dry ingredients, and pour in the dairy free milk. Gently fold the dry into the wet until there are no dry streaks left, being careful not to over mix.
- Bake: Pour the batter into your loaf tin, and bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool: Remove from the oven and allow the lemon loaf to cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Then carefully remove with the parchment paper flaps on the side.
- Add the lemon drizzle: Mix the powdered sugar with the dairy free milk and lemon juice until you reach a runny consistency. Drizzle the glaze over the loaf. Slice and enjoy!
- Storage: Store any leftover slices in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days, in the fridge for 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Gluten free: If you don’t need this vegan lemon loaf to be gluten free, you can swap in an equal amount of all purpose flour.
- Sour cream: The vegan sour cream I used in this recipe is by Forager Project. If you don’t have access to this, you can also swap in an equal amount of full fat unsweetened plain dairy free yogurt.
- Refined sugar free: If you’d like to make this lemon loaf cake refined sugar free, you can use coconut sugar.
- Dairy free milk: you can use any dairy free milk here. I recommend coconut (either refrigerated or from a can) or oat milk for the best results.
- Vegan butter: you can also swap in coconut oil in place of vegan butter here.
- Serving Size: 1 slice, no icing
- Calories: 281
- Sugar: 19 g
- Sodium: 22.3 mg
- Fat: 11.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 40.8 g
- Fiber: 2.2 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 22 mg
Keywords: vegan lemon loaf, vegan lemon bread, lemon loaf cake, gluten free lemon loaf, vegan lemon drizzle cake, gluten free lemon drizzle cake