This is the ultimate vegan lemon loaf cake recipe! Super moist and tender, secretly gluten free with just oat flour, and topped with a lemon drizzle, this lemon loaf tastes even better than Starbucks!
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
- 2/3 cup dairy free milk, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sour cream, room temperature
- Juice from 1 medium lemon
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 3 1/2 cups oat flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup powdered sugar, for the glaze
- 1 tbsp dairy free milk, for the glaze
- 2–3 tsp lemon juice, for glaze
- Preheat the oven to 350F, and grease and line a 9″ loaf pan with olive oil and parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to cream together the vegan butter and sugar. The sugar should begin to dissolve into the butter, and the butter should be fluffy. This should take about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the applesauce, dairy free milk, sour cream, lemon juice, vanilla, and lemon zest, and mix again until all wet ingredients are combined.
- Sift in the oat flour and baking powder, and gently fold the dry into the wet until there are no dry streaks left, being careful not to over mix.
- Pour the batter into your loaf tin, and bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow the lemon loaf to cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Then carefully remove with the parchment paper flaps on the side.
- Mix the powdered sugar with the dairy free milk and lemon juice until you reach a runny consistency. Drizzle the glaze over the loaf. Slice and enjoy!
- Store any leftover slices in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days, in the fridge for 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Gluten free: If you don’t need this vegan lemon loaf to be gluten free, you can swap in an equal amount of all purpose flour.
- Sour cream: The vegan sour cream I used in this recipe is by Forager Project. If you don’t have access to this, you can also swap in an equal amount of full fat unsweetened plain coconut yogurt.
- Refined sugar free: If you’d like to make this lemon loaf cake refined sugar free, you can use coconut sugar.
- Dairy free milk: you can use any dairy free milk here. I recommend coconut (either refrigerated or from a can) or oat milk for the best results.
- Vegan butter: you can also swap in coconut oil in place of vegan butter here.
Keywords: vegan lemon loaf, vegan lemon bread, lemon loaf cake, gluten free lemon loaf, vegan lemon drizzle cake, gluten free lemon drizzle cake