This deliciously fragrant and flavorful creamy vegan pasta recipe is so easy to make and full of fresh herbs, asparagus, and peas for a filling yet light and healthy pasta dish! Ready in 25 minutes or less and easily made nut-free and gluten free too, this healthy spring pea and asparagus pasta dish is sure to be a new weeknight favorite, dairy-free or not!
- 1 box angel hair or spaghetti pasta (gluten free as needed)*
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 bunch asparagus, chopped
- 1 10-ounce bag frozen peas
- 1 tbsp vegan butter or cooking oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup dairy-free yogurt
- 1 cup vegan parmesan
- 1 cup reserved pasta water
- 1/2 cup lemon juice (about 4 medium lemons) + 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup chopped dill and parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: 1 cup toasted pine nuts
- Prep: Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta according to instructions. Once cooked, reserve 1 cup of the pasta water for the sauce, and strain the pasta. Toss the pasta in a teaspoon of olive oil to prevent sticking while making the sauce. While the pasta is boiling, steam the asparagus and the frozen peas.
- Sauté the garlic: In a large pan, heat the vegan butter until hot, then add in the garlic to cook on medium-low heat until lightly browned.
- Make the sauce: Add in the yogurt, parmesan, lemon juice, dill, and parsley. Stir to combine and cook on medium-low until the cheese is melted. Then add in the pasta water to thin the sauce. Add in sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Finish the pasta: Turn the sauce heat off, then stir in the asparagus and peas to the sauce and toss to coat evenly. Next, add in the pasta and toss to combine.
- Serve: Top with lemon zest, cracked black pepper, and toasted pine nuts if desired, along with fresh vegan parmesan. Serve, and enjoy! Store any leftovers in an airtight container and in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Keywords: pasta, spring, peas, asparagus, how to cook asparagus, pasta with peas and asparagus, Italian