This rich and healthy vegetable stew is deliciously thick and loaded with savory nutrient dense veggies and herbs, mushrooms, potatoes, and beans. Ready in just under 1 hour, easy to make and packed with plant-based protein for a hearty weeknight dinner to keep you warm all winter long!
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 7 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium head of celery (1 stalk of celery), washed and chopped
- 6 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh sage
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 1 tsp chopped fresh parsley
- 4 cups (960 mL) veggie stock or water
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup (60 g) flour, einkorn flour, or gluten free 1:1 baking flour
- 8 ounces chickpeas, rinsed
- 8 ounces cannellini beans, rinsed
- 8–10 small baby yellow potatoes, rinsed and quartered
- Sea salt to taste*
- Prep: Begin by cleaning and slicing all of the veggies. Make sure that you’ve also rinsed the beans and potatoes.
- Saute: In a large pot, heat the vegan butter on medium until melted. Add in the garlic and onions, and sauté until the onions are translucent and the garlic fragrant, about 3-4 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, and add in the carrots, celery, mushrooms, sage, dill, and parsley. Mix together then cover to let cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Mix in the flour: In a small bowl with the tomato sauce, whisk the flour into the sauce so that there are no more clumps. This will prevent the flour clumping in the hot mixture of the stew.
- Finish the stew: Add in the tomato flour mixture, veggie stock or water, chickpeas, cannellini beans, baby potatoes, and sea salt to taste. Stir to combine, then bring the mixture to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low, and cover. Simmer for 35-45 minutes, or longer if desired. The longer it cooks, the more it thickens. Stir the soup every so often.
- Serve: Once the potatoes are fork tender, you can serve your vegetable stew. Serve in bowls alongside homemade bread, mashed potatoes, and fresh parsley on top!
Sea salt: If you’re using water instead of vegetable broth, which I’ve tested with this recipe, you’ll need about 1 tsp of sea salt, but taste it as it cooks to see if you need more.
Gluten-free: Swap in gluten free 1:1 baking flour for the all purpose flour.
More protein? Add in crispy tofu in addition to the beans!
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 253
- Sugar: 7.3 g
- Sodium: 832.8 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 46.9 g
- Fiber: 9.6 g
- Protein: 9.9 g
- Cholesterol: 6.1 mg
Keywords: vegetable stew, vegan vegetable stew, bean vegetable stew, potato vegetable stew, veggie stew recipe