This simple and quick-to-make basic vegetable broth recipe is the key to the most delicious, flavorful and nutrient dense soups, stews, sauces, and more! The broth is easy to make with leftover, frozen, or fresh veggies and herbs, and you can easily prep a big batch to freeze into vegetable broth cubes for later use!
- 2.5 liters (10-11 cups) filtered water
- 5–8 celery stems, washed, most leaves removed
- 6–7 large carrots, washed and sliced in quarters
- 1 large onion, skin removed and sliced in half
- 4–5 garlic cloves, whole (shell removed)
- 4–5 sage leaves, washed
- 1 tbsp fresh or dried rosemary
- 1 tbsp fresh or dried thyme*
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- Prep: Wash all of the veggies and herbs thoroughly. You don’t need to remove the carrot skins, just give them a good scrub.
- Boil: Pour the water into a large pot, followed by adding in all of the veggies. Start by adding in 1 tsp of sea salt at first. Stir everything, then bring the broth to a boil on medium-high heat to boil for 3-5 minutes. Then reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and let cook for 3-6 hours. The longer it cooks, the more flavorful the broth. Add more salt and pepper to taste as needed if it needs more.
- Strain: When ready to strain, place a sieve over a large container and pour the broth and vegetables into the sieve and container. Remove the sieve from the liquid, and allow the vegetable broth to cool, slightly covered, at room temperature. Store the veggies if desired in a separate container or use for a vegetable soup (see blog post for tips on what to do with the cooked vegetables).
- Storage: If you’re using the broth right away, you can immediately add it to your recipe. I have tons of soup recipes you can check out! Otherwise, you can store the vegetable broth in the fridge for up to 5 days, or freeze it in an ice cube tray then transfer it to a storage container to be stored for up to 3 months in the fridge.
Customizations: Check the blog post for all flavor variations!
Keywords: vegetable broth, vegetable stock, vegan broth, vegan stock, veggie broth for soup, homemade vegetable broth