This is truly the BEST vegan chocolate ice cream recipe. Not only is it incredibly simple and only 5 ingredients, but this secretly healthy chocolate ice cream is also coconut free and soy free- we’re just using oat milk! This vegan chocolate ice cream will be your new favorite chocolate ice cream, dairy free or not!
- 555 ml unsweetened vanilla oat milk
- 180 grams granulated sugar or coconut sugar
- 7 ounces vegan dark chocolate
- 65 grams cocoa powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- Recommended Ice Cream Maker: Cuisinart ICE-30BC Pure Indulgence 2 Quart Automatic Ice Cream Maker
- Make sure that you’ve frozen the ice cream container for at least 24 hours before beginning.
- Make the chocolate custard: in a medium saucepan on medium heat, whisk together all the ingredients. Continue whisking until the chocolate has completely melted into the oat milk. Remove the custard from the heat and allow the mixture to cool at room temperature for 10 minutes. Then transfer the custard to chill in the fridge for 2-3 hours. There should be no heat coming from the custard when you’re ready to make the ice cream. If there is, then you need to chill longer. Any heat will alter the temperature of the ice cream mixer, preventing the ice cream from actually forming.
- Make the ice cream: once your custard is chilled, follow the instructions of your ice cream machine, pouring the custard into the ice cream container and turning the machine on. With the specific ice cream maker I recommended, it took about 25 minutes to churn.
- Once the ice cream has churned and thickened, transfer the ice cream to an ice cream storage container and store in the freezer. Scoop and serve as desired!
Vegan Chocolate Recommendations: I recommend using either Pascha Chocolate 100% chocolate chips (the ice cream will still be very sweet, just really rich!) or their stevia sweetened chocolate chips.
Oat milk: you can make your own oat milk or use store bought. For store bought, I recommend Forager Project or Planet Oat.
Sugar: you can use granulated sugar or coconut sugar. I haven’t tried a keto-friendly granulated sugar and know that sometimes those alter the taste and texture drastically so use with caution (i.e. I can’t recommend it, but if you want to experiment, you’re more than welcome too!)
Keywords: vegan chocolate ice cream, oat milk ice cream, healthy chocolate ice cream, homemade chocolate ice cream, dairy free chocolate ice cream