These ultra decadent hot chocolate cookies are like a cup of hot cocoa and filled with molten chocolate and toasted gooey marshmallows! No eggs, and so easy to make!
1 1/4 cups (160 g) all purpose flour or gluten free 1-to-1 flour
1/2 cup (50 g) natural cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp espresso powder (optional, but highly recommended)
1/2 cup (115 g) vegan butter, room temperature
1/3 cup (83 g) dairy free yogurt, room temperature
1/2 cup (100 g) granulated sugar
1/2 cup (100 g) brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1–2 tbsp dairy free milk, if needed for mixing batter
3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
1 cup vegan marshmallows
12 squares of vegan chocolate
- Please read through all instructions before beginning.
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, sea salt, and optional espresso powder.
- Make the cookie dough: In a large bowl, use a hand mixer or a stand mixer to cream together the vegan butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Then add in the dairy free yogurt and vanilla extract, and mix again until everything is entirely incorporated. Add in the cocoa mixture to the butter mixture, and use a silicone spatula to fold the dry into the wet, being careful to stop mixing just before the dry is completely mixed in.
- Add in the chocolate chips: Fold in chocolate chips and/or chocolate chunks and marshmallows, and use a tablespoon or two of dairy free milk here as needed to fold in the chips until they’re evenly distributed in the dough.
- Scoop and shape: Use a small cookie scoop or tablespoon measurement to measure about 1 tbsp of dough and press your thumb into the middle. Place a square of chocolate into the middle, and scoop another 1 tbsp of dough on top. Roll between your palms and place it onto the baking sheet and repeat for the remaining dough, spacing the cookies about 2 inches apart. Press extra marshmallows on top if desired.
- Bake the cookies: Bake the cookies for 11-13 minutes (I bake mine for exactly 12 minutes), then remove from the oven.
- Allow the cookies to set: Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes. Then transfer them to a wire rack to cool. You can add additional chocolate chips if you’d like on top. Then toast the marshmallows with a culinary kitchen torch if desired.
- Storage: store any leftover cookies in an airtight container and in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Gluten free: I recommend King Arthur Measure for Measure Flour for gluten free cookies.
Refined Sugar Free: swap in coconut sugar for both the brown sugar and granulated sugar for refined sugar free.
Cocoa powder: please use all natural cocoa powder over both Dutch-processed and cacao powder. See blog post for more notes on that!
Please read through the blog post for any additional tips!
Keywords: hot cocoa cookies, hot chocolate cookies, vegan hot cocoa cookies, vegan marshmallow cookies, chocolate marshmallow cookies