Delicious rich and bubbly champagne cupcakes that are secretly vegan and dairy free! These easy one bowl cupcakes make for the best New Year’s Eve dessert!
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour or sifted gluten-free 1-to-1 baking flour (if doing gluten-free, add in 1 tsp arrowroot powder)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar or coconut sugar (see Notes)
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/8 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup champagne, room temperature
- 1/4 cup Flora Plant Butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
- 3/4 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
Vegan Hazelnut Buttercream
- 1 3/4 cups Flora Plant Butter, room temerpature
- 1/2 cup ground hazelnuts
- 4–5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3–4 tbsp dairy free milk
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Add in the champagne, applesauce, Flora Plant Butter, and vanilla extract, and use a rubber spatula to mix until it’s a consistent batter without any streaks of dry ingredients.
- Scoop the batter into the cupcake tin, filling each cupcake liner about 1/2 of the way full.
- Bake for 22-24 minutes, or until the tops of the cupcakes are lightly golden and the toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
- When ready to frost, make the hazelnut buttercream. Cream the Flora Plant Butter with a hand mixer or stand mixer. Then add in the ground hazelnuts and vanilla extract. Cream again until everything is smooth. Add in the powdered sugar in 1 cup increments, using the hand mixer to mix everything together until fluffy and smooth. Use the dairy free milk here to achieve a smooth consistency in 1 tablespoon increments.
- Spoon the frosting into a piping bag with piping tip inserted. Frost each cupcake and enjoy!