Easy lemon berry vegan trifle with layers of zesty eggless lemon custard, deliciously sweet vanilla pound cake, and fresh berries and coconut whipped cream for the ultimate chilled dessert that’s perfect at any summer party! Naturally gluten free, dairy free, eggless, and even refined sugar free!
Vegan Lemon Custard:
- 500 mL unsweetened vanilla oat milk
- 1/2 cup (90 grams) granulated sugar or coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice + 1 tsp fresh lemon zest
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp vanilla powder (optional but recommended for vanilla bean flecks)
- 1/3 cup (50 grams) cornstarch or arrowroot starch + water
Vegan Vanilla Pound Cake:
- 1/2 cups (130 grams) unsweetened dairy free milk, room temperature
- 2/3 tsp apple cider vinegar (to be mixed with dairy free milk milk)
- 3 1/3 cups (300 grams) gluten-free rolled oats* see note for store bought oat flour measurement
- 1 1/3 tsp baking powder
- 2/3 tbsp arrowroot starch or cornstarch
- 2/3 tsp baking soda
- 2/3 cup (130 grams) granulated coconut sugar or regular sugar
- 1/3 cup (75 grams) salted vegan butter (I recommend Flora Plant butter), room temperature
- 1/2 cup (130 grams) unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
- 1 1/3 tbsp vanilla extract (yes, 2 full tablespoons!) or 1 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract + 1/2 tsp vanilla powder
Berries + Coconut Whipped Cream:
- 1 batch homemade or store-bought vegan coconut whipped cream
- 3 cups fresh sliced strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries
- Please read through the entire instructions before beginning. You’ll make the lemon custard first. Then the pound cake, followed by the coconut whipped cream. Measure out the ingredients for the lemon custard.
- Make the lemon custard: in a medium pot, bring the oat milk, sugar, lemon, and vanilla extract/powder to a boil, whisking together until the sugar dissolves. Reduce the heat to a simmer. While the mixture is simmering, add the cornstarch to a separate small ramekin. Add in 1-2 tbsp until you create a paste. Add the paste to the lemon mixture, and whisk gently until the cornstarch dissolves. Keep whisking on low heat until the mixture begins to thicken, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat and pour the custard into a bowl. Allow the custard to cool for 10 minutes, then place the custard in the fridge to cool for 2 hours.
- Make the vanilla pound cake: Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease a 9″ loaf pan with cooking oil, and line with parchment paper. Set aside. Measure out all ingredients before beginning. Prepare the oat flour: pulse the oats in a high speed blender or food processor until they reach a fine flour. Please see this post on how to make oat flour for all the tips and tricks. Prepare the vegan buttermilk. Combine the dairy free milk with the apple cider vinegar, and set aside to sit for 5-6 minutes. You can weigh and measure the remaining ingredients during this time.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oat flour, baking powder, arrowroot starch, and baking soda. Set aside.
- Make the batter: In a stand mixer with paddle attachment or a large bowl with hand mixer, cream together the vegan butter and sugar until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Scrape down the sides as needed. Then add in the applesauce and vanilla extract. Mix again on medium speed until combined, scraping down the sides and at the bottom of the bowl as needed. Add in about half of the dry mixture, along with half of the vegan buttermilk, and mix on medium speed until just combined. Add in the remaining dry mixture and vegan buttermilk, and mix on medium speed until there are just no more dry streaks. Make sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl as well as the sides.
- Bake the cakes: Pour the batter into the loaf pan, and bake for 55 minutes, or until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow the pourd cake to cool in its pans for 10 minutes, then transfer it to a cooling rack to cool completely. Once cooled completely (there is absolutely no warmth to the touch!), slice the pound cake into cubes.
- Make the coconut whipped cream. Follow the directions for making the coconut whipped cream.
- Assemble the trifle: start with about 1/3 of the cubed pound cake and place it on the bottom of the trifle dish. Then layer with berries and 1/3 of the lemon custard. Repeat, creating layers of pound cake, berries, and custard. Finish the top of the trifle with coconut whipped cream and berries and serve!
- Store in covered in the fridge until ready to serve.
Keywords: vegan trifle, vegan trifle recipe, berry trifle recipe, lemon trifle recipe