These super adorable mini apple pies are SO easy to make and fun for a deliciously sweet fall dessert! Naturally vegan, dairy free, no sugar added filling, and easily gluten free, theses vegan mini apple pies are sweet, gooey, flaky, and perfect for a party, fun fall dessert, or snack!
- 145 grams all purpose flour or gluten free 1:1 baking flour, plus more for rolling
- 22 grams arrowroot powder
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 85 grams unsalted vegan butter, chilled and cubed
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 tbsp ice cold water
- 1.5 apple, skin removed and diced into small cubes
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Read through all instructions before beginning. Measure out all ingredients. Make sure that the apple is peeled and diced. Keep the vegan butter in the fridge until ready to use. Prepare three mini tart pan (about 3-4″) greased with olive oil. Set aside.
- Start by making the pie crust: in a small food processor, pulse together the flour, arrowroot starch, and sea salt. Add in the Flora Plant Butter, and pulse until you achieve a sandy texture, about 10 seconds. Add in the maple syrup and 2 tbsp of water to start at first. Pulse until the wet ingredients start to combine into a thick dough. If you need more water, add it in here. You should have a thick but small dough ball. Place the dough onto a piece of parchment paper, wrap it, and store it in the fridge while you make the apple pie filling.
- Make the apple pie filling: Preheat the oven to 400F. In a small bowl, combine the diced apple, lemon juice/apple cider vinegar, arrowroot starch, vanilla extract, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Toss until the apple pies are evenly coated, then set aside.
- Make the mini apple pie: Remove the pie dough from the fridge. Slice the dough in half. The other half will be for your lattice crust. Dust a piece of parchment paper with flour, as well as the dough disk and a rolling pin. Gently roll the dough to be about 1/8″ thick. Use a small bowl that’s about 1/2″ bigger than your mini tart pan, and cut out a circle with a knife. Repeat for the two other mini pies. Any pie dough scraps can be used for the lattice. Roll the circle once more to smooth it out, then gently drape the pie dough over the pie dish and gently press the dough into the sides of the pie dish. Be careful not to pull the crust down but gently lift and press the dough into the bottom edge of the pie dish and up the sides.
- Fill the apple pie: Pour the apple pie filling into the middle of the pie crust. Then set aside as you prepare the lattice crust.
- Make the lattice crust: Divide the dough into three separate balls. You’ll make one lattice at a time. Roll one dough ball out like in step 4. However, this time, to make the lattice, measure a square that’s about 7×7″. Use a pizza dough slicer to slice each lattice strip into 1/2″ strips. Drape half of the strips in one direction over the pie. Do not seal off the lattice yet. Now begin to weave the other strips going the opposite direction, lifting up every other strip to cover the opposite strip (see photos). Use scissors to slice off any pie dough pieces that spill over, then gently tuck the loose ends into the pie crust. Repeat for the other two pies.
- Bake the mini apple pie: Brush the apple pies with 1 tbsp dairy-free milk, such as coconut cream, and sprinkle on top 1 tsp of brown sugar or coconut sugar each, if desired. Place the apple pies onto a baking sheet, and bake the apple pie for 25-30 minutes, or until the dough has lightly set.
- Serve the apple pie: Remove the apple pie from the oven and allow it to cool for 20 minutes in its tart pan. Then use a butter knife, and gently line the edges of the pie to carefully remove. Serve with a scoop of dairy-free ice cream and enjoy!
- 62 grams all purpose flour or gluten free 1:1 baking flour, plus more for rolling
- 37 grams vegan butter, chilled and cubed
- 10 grams arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp maple syrup, optional
- 1-2 tbsp chilled water
- 3/4 large apple, skin removed
- 1 tsp arrowroot starch
- 1 tsp lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
Keywords: mini apple pies, mini apple tarts, vegan apple pie, mini vegan apple pies