Soft, pillowy sweet potato gnocchi that are easy, and completely Paleo, gluten free, and vegan, yet you’d never know! Coated in a garlic sage sauce, these homemade gnocchi are incredibly easy to make and perfect for all eaters!
Paleo Sweet Potato Gnocchi:
- 2 cups (530 g) mashed sweet potato
- 2 1/4 cup (225 g) oat flour, or gluten free 1-to-1 flour or all-purpose flour or cassava flour
- 3 tbsp arrowroot starch or cornstarch
Garlic Sage Sauce:
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 cup light coconut milk, oat milk or soy milk
- 1/4 cup chopped sage
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Place mashed sweet potato in a large bowl.
- Add flour and arrowroot starch to the bowl, and knead until it’s a consistent dough. Make sure that all of the flour is absorbed. The dough will be ready when nothing is sticking to the bowl.
- Flour a clean surface with extra flour and place the dough onto the floured surface.
- Use a knife to slice the dough in quarters.
- Take one quarter and roll the sweet potato dough to be long and about 1 inch thick.
- Slice in 1 inch sections with a pizza slicer or thin knife.
- Tuck the edges so that they’re more rounded and lightly flour. Place the ready-to-boil gnocchi onto a plate and repeat with the remaining quarters.
- When the gnocchi are done, bring a large pot with 2 quarts of water and a pinch of sea salt to a boil.
- When the water is boiling, add about 1/2 of the gnocchi to the pot and give the water a swirl.
- Let the gnocchi cook until they start to rise to the top (about 1-2 minutes). When they’ve risen, remove them from the water, and repeat for the remaining gnocchi.
- Once all the gnocchi are cooked, add 1 tsp vegan butter or cooking oil to a large sauté pan and sauté the gnocchi until crispy. Turn off the heat and cover to keep warm.
- In a separate large sauté pan, heat the vegan butter on medium-high heat and add the minced garlic to the pan. Sauté until golden brown, then reduce the heat to medium and add the sage.
- Sauté the garlic and sage together until fragrant. While the garlic is cooking, whisk together the coconut milk and arrowroot starch in a separate bowl. Then add in the coconut milk mixture and sea salt to the pan.
- Let the sauce cook on medium-low heat for 5 minutes, or until thickened.
- Once the sauce is thickened, add the gnocchi to the pan and toss until coated.
- Serve with black pepper and vegan parmesan if desired.
Gluten free: Use certified gluten free oat flour, gluten free 1:1 baking flour (such as King Arthur Measure for Measure), or cassava flour
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 461
- Sugar: 5
- Sodium: 71
- Fat: 12
- Saturated Fat: 4
- Carbohydrates: 82
- Fiber: 5
- Protein: 2
Keywords: sweet potato gnocchi, garlic sage sauce, vegan sweet potato gnocchi, gluten free sweet potato gnocchi, sweet potato gnocchi recipe