These super indulgent s’mores cupcakes are like bringing the campfire indoors! An ultra rich chocolate cupcake filled with gooey eggless marshmallow fluff and homemade graham crackers, this super decadent s’mores cupcake recipe is perfect for any summer party or holiday! Secretly vegan, gluten free, and eggless too!
Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes:
- 1 cups (125 grams) all purpose flour, sifted *see note for gluten free option
- 1/2 cup (45 grams) cacao powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup (150 grams) coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup (55 grams) vegan butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (115 grams) unsweetened dairy-free with 2 tsp lemon juice (vegan buttermilk mixture), room temperature
- 1/3 cup (90 grams) unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (90 grams) vegan chocolate chips
Vegan Gluten Free Graham Crackers
- 1/2 batch Pies & Tacos Vegan Graham Crackers*
Vegan Eggless Marshmallow Fluff:
- 1/2 cup (110 grams) unsalted aquafaba*
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups (260 grams) powdered sugar
- Read through the instructions before beginning. Make sure to also measure out all ingredients before beginning.
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a cupcake tin with liners.
- Make the cupcakes: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cacao powder, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside. In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to cream together the vegan butter and coconut sugar. Add in the vegan buttermilk mixture and applesauce, and use the hand mixer to combine at medium speed. Add in the flour mixture into the batter slowly, as you mix the batter at medium-low speed to combine. Be careful not to over mix. Mix the batter until there are just no more dry streaks. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the cupcake liners, filling the liners about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way full. You should get about 12 cupcakes.
- Place the cupcakes into the over and bake for 25-27 minutes, or until the toothpick comes out clean.
- While the cupcakes are baking, make the vegan graham crackers. See the notes section for my tips. I did not chill the dough for an hour, and they came out just fine! I only did 10 minutes in the freezer!
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes in the cupcake tin. After 10 minutes, transfer the cupcakes to the cooling rack until they are fully cooled. Remove the graham crackers too when they’re ready.
- When the cupcakes are ready to frost, make the vegan marshmallow fluff. In a large stand mixer with whisk attachment, add the aquafaba and cream of tartar to the bowl. Beat the mixture on the highest setting for 7-8 minutes, until stiff peaks form. If it’s already 8 minutes and stiff peaks haven’t formed, continue beating the aquafaba mixture. It’s very hard to over mix aquafaba, so don’t worry about ruining the mixture. Once you have stiff peaks, or near stiff peaks, add in the vanilla extract and powdered sugar. Start on medium speed mixing the powdered sugar into the aquafaba, then increase to high speed until the mixture looks glossy.
- Once the graham crackers have cooled: crush half of the graham crackers into graham cracker crumbs and set aside.
- Assemble the cupcakes: use a cupcake corer or carefully remove a small circle from the top of each cupcake to create a space to fill them. You can save the cored pieces of cupcake for cake truffles. Fill each hole halfway with a teaspoon of marshmallow fluff. Then sprinkle graham cracker crumbs until you reach the top of the cupcake. You can either pipe or spoon marshmallow fluff onto the tops of the cupcake. My tip if you’re using the blow torch is to pipe one cupcake and then immediately toast the marshmallow. Otherwise the marshmallow will start to lose its shape Repeat for the remaining cupcakes.
- Top with graham crackers and serve!
- Storage: store any leftover cupcakes in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Gluten free: to make these vegan s’mores cupcakes entirely gluten-free, you can use gluten-free 1:1 baking flour, such as Bob’s Red Mill in the blue bag, for both the cake and the graham cracker recipe. Everything else in the recipe is entirely gluten-free.
Graham cracker recipe: I used the recipe from my friend from Pies & Tacos, Camila. Her recipe is truly amazing. I did alter it to use the gluten-free flour, which does work, along with coconut oil instead of vegan butter, as I was running out of vegan butter. If you’re going to use coconut oil, make sure to use triple refined coconut oil if you don’t want a coconut taste.
Aquafaba: this is an entirely eggless s’mores cake, down to the marshmallow meringue. Aquafaba is the water from a chickpea can. It’s perfectly fine to consume, but if you’re concerned about the can lining, choose a BPA-free can of chickpeas, use chickpeas that are stored in a glass, or you can even make your own aquafaba.
Please be careful and read all instructions for how to use a culinary torch.
Please read the full post for all tips & tricks!
Keywords: smores cupcakes, s'more cupcake, smore cupcakes, vegan marshmallow cupcakes, vegan chocolate cupcakes