Healthy vegan birthday cake donuts that are easy to make and taste like they’re from the bakery! No one will know that these baked vanilla cake donuts are healthy, low in sugar, and vegan!
- 1 cup organic white flour, or favorite gluten free flour blend
- 1/2 cup coconut sguar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, melted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut or almond milk, unsweetened with 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/3 cup rainbow sprinkles
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2–4 tbsp coconut or almond milk
- extra rainbow sprinkles for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease a 6-donut donut pan with coconut or olive oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, nutmeg, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, use a hand mixer to beat together the applesauce, coconut sugar, vanilla extract, melted butter, and coconut/almond milk until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until well combined and there are no flour clumps.
- Add in the rainbow sprinkles and mix again.
- Distribute the batter evenly amongst the 6 donuts (saving half for the next batch). Fill the cups until they’re 3/4 of the way full.
- Place in the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan. Repeat for the remaining batter.
- Let the donuts cool completely before icing.
- When ready to ice, beat together the powdered sugar, vanilla, and almond milk until it’s a thick but still movable icing.
- Dip each donut into the icing and sprinkle with extra rainbow sprinkles.
- Serving Size: 1 donut
- Calories: 124
- Sugar: 13
- Sodium: 217
- Fat: 4
- Saturated Fat: 3
- Carbohydrates: 22
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 1
Keywords: baked vanilla donuts, vegan donuts, healthy donuts, birthday cake, gluten free option, refined sugar free