These deliciously rich and fun birthday cake truffles are so easy to make with just 3 ingredients! Bursting with sprinkles, these cake balls are also secretly and naturally vegan and dairy free with a gluten free option! Perfect for an easy birthday treat without the hassle of a cake!
- 2 cups leftover vegan GF cake scraps from leveling a vanilla cake or making mini cakes
- 1 batch vegan vanilla buttercream OR 1 16-ounce canister Simple Mills Vegan Vanilla Frosting
- 1/2 cup vegan sprinkles, plus more for decoration*
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, use a fork or a pastry cutter to mash the cake scraps into crumbs.
- Add in half of the frosting, and use a spoon to fold the frosting into the cake crumbs until they’re evenly distributed. Add in the sprinkles as well, and fold until they’re evenly distributed.
- Place the bowl into the freezer to chill for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, use a medium cookie scoop (about 1.5 tbsp) and scoop the dough into dough balls. Roll the dough between your palms to smooth into balls, then place the truffles onto the prepared pan.
- Repeat for the remaining dough. Then place the baking sheet into the freezer to chill for 20 minutes.
- After the truffles have set, melt the frosting slowly in a small saucepan over the stove on medium-low heat, just until pourable. Anymore, and the frosting will split, leaving you with an oily mess. You can also use a vegan white chocolate if you’d prefer. Once the frosting is melted, remove from heat.
- Use a toothpick to stick into a cake truffle. Roll the cake truffle in the melted frosting, and place back onto the parchment paper. Top with sprinkles, and repeat for the remaining truffles, or leave some as is.
- Allow the frosting to set for 10 minutes (you can speed it up by placing them in the fridge). Serve and enjoy!
Vegan Sprinkles: I used Sweetapolita’s vegan Birthday Cake sprinkles here.
If you’d like to use vegan white chocolate as the outer coating: I recommend Pascha Organics’ vegan white chocolate. They’re AMAZING!
Keywords: cake truffles, birthday cake truffles, cake bites, cake pops, vegan cake pops