This super soft and fluffy buttery vegan brioche tastes just like the classic French brioche loaf, only entirely eggless and dairy free! With step by step instructions and every tip you’ll need to make bread, you’ll have the most soft and pillowy brioche bread ever!
- 1/2 cup (111 mL) dairy free milk, heated to 110F
- 1/3 cup (60 g) granulated sugar or coconut sugar, divided
- 2 1/3 cups (300 g) bread flour or all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp (5 g) dry activated yeast
- 7 1/4 tbsp (111 g) unsalted salted vegan butter, room temperature
- 1/8 cup (38 grams) unsweetened applesauce or dairy free yogurt, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- vegan “egg” wash*
- Please read through all instructions before beginning.
- Prep: Grease a medium bowl with olive or coconut oil, and set aside. Generously grease a 9″ loaf pan with olive or coconut oil as well, and set aside.
- Bloom the yeast: In a separate large bowl, combine the dairy free milk, 1/4 cup (50 g) granulated sugar, 1 tsp bread flour, and activated yeast. Mix with a wooden spoon, and cover. Place in a warm area to activate for about 10 minutes. The yeast should begin to foam and smell yeast-like (similar to beer).
- Make the dough: Once the yeast is activated, you’ll start the dough. In a large bowl or using a stand mixer with paddle attachment, add the bread flour and remaining sugar to the bowl. Mix just until the sugar is mixed throughout the flour. Then add in the dairy free yogurt, vanilla, and bloomed yeast mixture. Mix on medium speed until a very shaggy dough forms, about 3-4 minutes. Then add in the tablespoons of vegan butter, and begin to mix again on medium speed. Stop every so often to reincorporate the butter. Once the vegan butter is incorporated, turn the speed of the stand mixer onto high, and allow the dough to be kneaded in the bowl for about 10-15 minutes, or until soft and pliable. The dough might still be slightly tacky, but should not leave globs of dough on your finger tip.
- Knead the dough: Once it starts to form a ball, lightly flour a clean surface and shape the dough into a ball.
- First proof: Place the dough ball into the medium sized greased bowl. Cover with a clean dish towel and place in a warm area (ideally above 80F) to rest for about 60-120 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- Shape the dough: Once doubled in size, lightly punch down the dough ball in the bowl to release the air. Lightly flour a clean surface again and divide the dough into 6 even balls. Gently shape each ball to be more oval. Place the bread ovals into the prepared baking pan, lining them up. Alternatively, you may braid the dough by dividing it into 3 even sections. Roll out each section to be about 11-12 inches. Pinch the tops of the three strands together. Then braid the dough as you would hair. Pinch the bottoms of the strands together. Then carefully place the dough into the loaf pan.
- Second proof: Cover the loaf pan with a clean kitchen towel and place by or on top of the oven while it preheats to 390F, allowing the dough to rest for 40-50 minutes in the pan. The dough should nearly double in size once more.
- Bake the brioche: Once rested, brush the loaf with the vegan “egg” wash. Place the loaf pan into the oven to bake for 20 minutes, uncovered, then 20 minutes covered. Remove from the oven and allow the loaf to cool for 30 minutes in the pan before carefully removing the loaf to serve.
- Slice and enjoy: Tear, share and enjoy!
Vegan “Egg” Wash: Combine 1 tbsp maple syrup with 1 tbsp dairy free milk. Mix together thoroughly. Brush on top of dough.
Keywords: vegan brioche, vegan brioche rolls, brioche bread, easy brioche, homemade brioche