This super soft and fluffy buttery vegan brioche tastes just like the classic French brioche loaf, only entirely eggless and dairy free! With step by step instructions and every tip you’ll need to make bread, you’ll have the most soft and pillowy brioche bread ever!
- 3/4 cup (184 grams) dairy free milk, heated to 110F
- 1/4 cup + 1 tsp (54.2 grams) sugar or coconut sugar
- 3 1/4 cups + 1 tsp (418.6 grams) bread flour or all purpose flour
- 2.5 tsp (.25 oz) activated yeast
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) salted vegan butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1/4 cup (62.5 grams) unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- vegan “egg” wash*
- Please read through all instructions before beginning.
- Prep: Grease a medium bowl with olive or coconut oil, and set aside. Generously grease a 9″ loaf pan with olive or coconut oil as well, and set aside.
- Bloom the yeast: In a separate large bowl, combine the dairy free milk, 1 tsp coconut sugar, 1 tsp bread flour, and activated yeast. Mix with a wooden spoon, and cover. Place in a warm area to activate for about 10 minutes. The yeast should begin to foam and smell yeast-like (similar to beer).
- Make the dough: Once activated, add in the melted vegan butter, unsweetened applesauce and vanilla extract to a stand mixer with dough attachment, along with the yeast mixture. You can also mix this by hand if needed. Mix on medium speed until combined. Then sift in the remaining bread flour and mix on medium-high speed until you achieve a shaggy dough. This should take about 4-5 minutes.
- Knead the dough: Once it starts to form a ball, lightly flour a clean surface and knead the dough for about 2-3 minutes, until it forms a smooth dough ball.
- First proof: Place the dough ball into the medium sized greased bowl. Cover with a clean dish towel and place in a warm area (ideally above 80F) to rest for about 60 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- Shape the dough: Once doubled in size, lightly punch down the dough ball in the bowl to release the air. Lightly flour a clean surface again and divide the dough into 6 even balls. Gently shape each ball to be more oval. Place the bread ovals into the prepared baking pan, lining them up.
- Second proof: Cover the loaf pan with a clean kitchen towel and place by or on top of the oven while it preheats to 375F. This allows the loaf to rest for 30 minutes.
- Bake the brioche: Once rested, brush the loaf with the vegan “egg” wash. Place the loaf pan into the oven to bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow the loaf to cool for 30 minutes in the pan before carefully removing the loaf to serve.
- Slice and enjoy: Tear, share and enjoy!
Vegan “Egg” Wash: Combine 1 tbsp maple syrup with 1 tbsp dairy free milk. Mix together thoroughly. Brush on top of dough.
Keywords: vegan brioche, vegan brioche rolls, brioche bread, easy brioche, homemade brioche