Creamy and easy vegan butternut squash mac and cheese that has all of the delicious flavors of cheese and fall while being entirely dairy free and gluten free! The perfect healthy comfort food that also makes a great vegan Thanksgiving main dish!
Butternut Squash Cheese Sauce:
- 3 cups roasted butternut squash
- 1 cup roasted carrots (roasted with the butternut squash)
- 2 cups oat milk (or almond milk or coconut milk)
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp melted vegan butter or coconut oil
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp garlic powder or 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp thyme
- Sea salt + pepper to taste
- 1 box (about 3 cups) dried chickpea pasta (or favorite pasta)
- Roast the butternut squash and carrots together, according to the directions for the roasted butternut squash.
- Once roasted, allow the veggies to cool while you make the pasta. Keep the oven on at 375F.
- In a large pot, bring 4 cups of water to a boil.
- Add in the pasta and cook according to the package directions (usually between 8-15 minutes).
- Drain the pasta and set aside.
- In a large food processor, add the remaining ingredients, except the pasta, to the processor and puree until smooth and creamy.
- Add the pasta to a large casserole dish. Pour the butternut squash cheese sauce on top and lightly toss.
- Place the butternut squash mac and cheese into the oven to bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm with desired sides. Store in an airtight container for up to a week in the fridge.
Keywords: vegan butternut squash mac and cheese, butternut mac and cheese, butternut squash cheese sauce, vegan mac and cheese recipe, easy vegan mac and cheese