The easiest homemade Vegan Challah bread recipe! Tastes just like traditional Challah bread, yet is completely egg free and dairy free!
- 1 cup warm water (110F), plus more if needed
- 6 tbsp coconut sugar
- 4–4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp dairy free milk
- In a large bowl, whisk together the warm water and 3 tbsp of coconut sugar + 1 tbsp of flour.
- Add in the yeast, and let the yeast activate for 10 minutes. The mixture should start to foam and smell yeast-like. If it does neither, scratch the mixture and start again (if your water is too hot, it will kill the yeast).
- Once the yeast is activated, add in the remaining 3 tbsp of coconut sugar and melted coconut oil. Whisk together until fully combined.
- Sift in the remaining cups of flour in 1/2 cup increments, starting first with 4 cups of flour to see if that’s enough. If not, add in the remaining 1/2 cup. Additionally, if your dough is not absorbing all of the flour, add in more warm water in 1 tablespoon increments. Begin to knead the dough until the flour is completely combined.
- Lightly flour a clean surface and knead the dough for 5 minutes. Once the dough is kneaded, lightly grease a clean bowl and place the dough inside. Cover the dough with a dish towel, and place in a warm room or an oven set to the “proof” setting. The warm area should be between 80-90F. You can also place outside in a safe spot if it’s hot enough.
- Let the dough double in size for 1 hour, but check on it after 30 minutes to see how far along in the process it is. Once it’s doubled, punch it down and lightly flour a clean surface again.
- Knead the dough again for 2-5 minutes, then use a bench scraper or knife to slice the dough into 3 equal pieces. Roll each into a long strands (about 12″-16″).
- Form one side of the ends together to create a braid. Wrap one piece over the other to create a braid shape, and seal off the ends of the braid together. You can leave it as a long loaf or wrap the loaf into a “c” shape to create a circle.
- Place the dough onto a baking sheet and cover to let rise again for 30 minutes, while the oven preheats to 350F.
- When the dough has risen again and the oven is preheated, place the loaf into the oven to bake for for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- Once the bread is baked, remove the Challah from the oven and set it aside while you make the glaze. M ix the glaze ingredients together in a small bowl. Lightly brush the top of the loaf with the glaze mixture.
- Let it set for 10 minutes and enjoy!
Keywords: vegan Challah bread, easy Challah bread, water Challah bread