Incredibly easy vegan chocolate hazelnut star bread twisted and brushed with a sprinkling of sugar for a festive holiday breakfast that’s like warm cinnamon buns!
- 4 1/4 cups (540 grams) + 1 tbsp all-purpose flour, divided (plus more for flouring surface)
- 1 packet (8 grams) activated yeast
- 1/2 cup (90 grams) granulated sugar or coconut sugar, divided
- 1 1/4 cup (270 grams) dairy-free milk, unsweetened, room temperature
- 1/4 cup (57 grams) salted vegan butter, melted and room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (87 grams) unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate hazelnut spread
- Vegan “egg wash” (1 tbsp maple syrup + 1 tbsp soy milk)
- Please read through all instructions before beginning. The overnight option and gluten free option are down below in the notes section.
- Prep: Grease a medium sized bowl with olive oil or coconut oil, and set aside. Make sure the vegan butter for the dough is melted and cooled.
- Activate the yeast: In microwave-safe bowl, heat the dairy-free milk until it reaches 110F- use a food thermometer to accurately measure the temperature. Any cooler or hotter, and the yeast won’t activate properly. Add in 1 tbsp sugar and the extra 1 tbsp flour. Gently whisk together, then sprinkle yeast, mix with a spoon lightly, cover, and let activate for 10 minutes in a warm area.
- Make the dough: When activated, pour the mixture into a large bowl or a stand mixer with the dough attachment. Add in the remaining sugar, applesauce, melted vegan butter, and vanilla extract. Mix on medium speed until combine. Then add in about half of the flour and mix on medium speed until the flour starts to incorporate into the wet mixture. Add the remaining flour, and mix on medium speed until a shaggy dough forms. Lightly flour a clean surface and place the dough onto the surface, sprinkling some extra flour on top or kneading.
- First proof: Knead the dough lightly, for 2-4 minutes, until it forms a smooth dough ball that’s not sticky. Then place the dough into the greased medium bowl, cover with a cloth or wrap, and place into a warm area to let rise for 1 hour. It should be double in size. If it’s at least 80F outside, you can place the bowl outside, otherwise you can place it in the oven (which is turned off) and turn on the oven light or start preheating the oven to 350F and place the bowl near or on top of the oven.
- While the dough is rising: grease a large casserole dish with oil and set aside. In a small bowl, mix together the coconut sugar and cinnamon, and set aside.
- Shape the star bread:
- Cut the dough into 4 equal pieces, and set aside. Lightly dust a clean surface, as well as your rolling pin, and roll one piece of the star bread dough into a circle, about 10″ in diameter. If you can’t get it exactly 10″, don’t worry. Just make sure that your circles are all equal in diameter.
- Repeat for the remaining pieces of dough, and set each aside nearby for the next step.
- Take one piece of rolled dough and place it onto a flour-dusted baking sheet. Lightly brush it with melted coconut oil and 1-2 tbsp of vegan chocolate hazelnut spread.
- Place another circle of dough on top and repeat the coconut oil and chocolate hazelnut spread assembly. Place the third circle of dough on top and repeat.
- For the last circle of dough, do not add the coconut oil and chocolate hazelnut spread on top, but do place the dough on top of the third piece of dough, as you did the others.
- First, press the edges of a 3″ bowl lightly into the center of the stacked star bread dough. This is where you’ll slice from the outside in and stop at the light line.
- Next, use a pizza cutter to slice 16 slices into the dough to create 16 equal strips. I suggest first making quarters, then eighths from there.
- Take two pieces of the sliced star bread dough, twist away from each other once then pinch the tops together to create an oval, as seen below. Repeat for all of the pieces of sliced star bread dough.
- Second rise: Once you’ve finished that step, brush the star bread with the vegan “egg wash,” and add the optional sprinkled sugar on top. Cover the star bread and place in a warm area to rest while the oven preheats to 350F.
- Bake: When the oven is preheated and the dough has rested enough, place the baking sheet into the oven (without the cover) and bake for 35 minutes, or until lightly golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy! Serve with dusted powdered sugar, and enjoy! This will keep fresh at room temperature for 2-3 days, and in the fridge for 4-6 days.
Gluten free option: Use the gluten free vegan cinnamon roll dough up until the dough has risen. Then shape it as you would the star bread.
Overnight option: Cnce you’ve shaped the dough into the star bread shape, cover the dough and place it into the fridge to rise overnight. In the morning, set it on the counter at room temperature while the oven preheats. Then bake!
Keywords: star bread, vegan star bread, chocolate hazelnut star bread, chocolate star bread