Festive vegan Christmas tree slice and bake cookies that are completely grain free, dairy free, and gluten free! Sweet and “buttery,” these slice and bake cookies are a fun holiday baking activity for kids and adults alike!
- 1 3/4 cup cassava flour
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 cup vegan butter or coconut oil, softened
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp natural green food coloring or matcha powder
- In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to beat together the vegan butter, maple syrup, coconut sugar, and vanilla extract.
- Sift in the cassava flour and almond flour, and continue mixing until it’s a thick and sticky dough.
- Separate about 1/4 of the dough into a separate medium bowl. Add in the green food coloring to the smaller dough and work in until it’s even. This will be the Christmas tree.
- Form both doughs into a flat disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- When the doughs are ready, remove the green dough first and roll out on a clean floured surface to be about 1/4″ thick. Use a small Christmas tree cookie cutter and cut as many Christmas trees as you can. Try to use all of the dough.
- Stack the Christmas trees into a line like the picture and place back into the fridge.
- Next, remove the plain sugar cookie dough and separate into 4 long strips (about as long as your line of Christmas trees).
- Roll each strip and slightly flatten it. Remove the Christmas trees from the fridge and begin to place strips of dough to cover the Christmas trees.
- Be careful not to lose too much of the shape of the Christmas trees, but begin to work the dough all around the Christmas trees. It should look like the final picture above.
- Wrap the long strip of dough with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- While the dough is refrigerating, preheat the oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- When the dough is ready to be sliced, slice about 1/2″ thick cookies from the dough and lay them onto the parchment paper. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until slightly golden and remove from the oven.
- Let cool before eating.
Keywords: slice and bake cookies, christmas tree slice and bake cookies, paleo slice and bake cookies, vegan slice and bake cookies