This vegan French toast recipe is light, fluffy, and so delicious — it’s the perfect classic plant-based breakfast! This recipe has just 8 ingredients — aquafaba is the star of the show! — and uses no refined sugar and no chia seeds. Ready within 15 minutes, top with coconut whipped cream and fresh berries and enjoy!
- 8 slices thick vegan bread, such as Brioche or Challah (GF as needed)
- 1 cup (240 mL) dairy free milk (like oat milk or coconut milk from the can)
- 1/3 cup (85 mL) aquafaba
- 1/4 cup (56 g) dairy free yogurt or unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tsp arrowroot powder
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar, maple syrup, or granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or vegan butter (for the pan)
- Toppings: fresh berries, coconut cream, maple syrup, cinnamon
- In a large bowl, vigorously whisk together the dairy free milk, aquafaba, dairy free yogurt, arrowroot powder, cinnamon, sugar, and vanilla extract. Whisk until combined.
- Dip one slice of bread into the mixture and let it soak for at least 2 minutes (longer if you’re using thick bread- up to 10 minutes). Then flip and allow the other side to soak.
- While the bread is soaking, in a medium skillet or on a pancake griddle, heat the coconut oil or vegan butter on medium heat until melted.
- Place the soaking piece of bread onto the skillet and let cook for 2-3 minutes. If it needs longer to cook, give it another minute or two. Flip onto the other side and allow the bread to cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove the bread from the skillet and place onto a plate. Repeat for the remaining slices.
- Serve with coconut cream, cinnamon, maple syrup, berries, or any of your favorite toppings!
Bread: I recommend using vegan brioche bread for the best results.
Gluten free: I will update this post with the gluten free brioche bread version when it’s available! Stay tuned! You may also use vegan gluten free sandwich bread if you’d like.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 184
- Sugar: 11.2 g
- Sodium: 259.5 mg
- Fat: 2.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 32.5 g
- Protein: 1.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0.4 mg
Keywords: vegan French toast, eggless French toast