Pillowy soft & fluffy gluten free dinner rolls that are so easy to make. No bread machine, no xanthan gum, and vegan! Everyone loves these rolls, gluten free or not.
- 3 cups (390 g) tapioca flour
- 1 1/2 cups + 1 tbsp (362 g) millet flour
- 1/2 cup (80 g) sweet rice flour
- 37 g psyllium husk powder
- 2 tbsp arrowroot
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp (14 g) instant dry/quick rise yeast
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) water, warm
- 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) dairy free milk, like soy milk, almond milk, oat milk, etc, warm
- 2/3 cup (170 g) dairy free yogurt
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 tbsp vegan butter, room temperature
- Vegan egg wash (1 tbsp maple syrup + 1 tbsp soy milk)
- Prep: Measure out all ingredients and set aside. Grease and line a 9×13″ casserole dish with oil and parchment paper, and set aside. If you’re making just 9 dinner rolls, you can use a 9×9 pan.
- Whisk the dry ingredients: In the bowl of a stand mixer or in a large bowl, whisk together the tapioca flour, millet flour, arrowroot starch, sea salt, psyllium husk powder, and instant dry yeast. Make sure that everything is thoroughly whisked.
- Make the dough: Add in the warm water, warm dairy free milk, dairy free yogurt maple syrup, and apple cider vinegar. Use a dough hook attachment for the stand mixer or a large wooden spoon if making the dinner roll dough by hand, and mix the dough on medium speed until you get a thick and consistent, slightly rough and tacky dough. Allow the dough to knead for 4-5 minutes. Then add in the room temperature vegan butter, and continuing mixing until the butter is incorporated and the dough is smooth. This will take about 2-3 minutes for the dough to come together in the stand mixer before kneading, or about 5-7 minutes before kneading the dough if making the dough by hand.
- Shape the dinner rolls: Once the dough is made, lightly flour a clean surface with millet flour. Divide the dough into 9 or 12 even dough pieces. Take one dough piece, and lightly press it down with your palm. Then take the corners of the dough and pinch them together in the middles. Flip the dinner roll upside down so that the pinched dough is facing downwards, and gently roll the dough on the table to form a smooth ball (see photos and watch video). Place the finished dinner roll into the casserole dish, and repeat for the remaining dough.
- Proof: Cover the gluten free dinner rolls with a clean dish towel or proofing cloth and place in a warm area to rise until doubled in size, about 30-40 minutes. While the dinner rolls are rising, preheat the oven to 350F.
- Brush: When the dinner rolls are doubled in size, brush the tops of the rolls with the vegan egg wash (maple syrup and soy milk whisked together).
- Bake: Place the gluten free dinner rolls into the oven to bake for 37-45 minutes, or until the tops of the rolls are lightly golden brown. If your rolls are done, but the tops haven’t browned as much, you can turn on the broiler setting of your oven to toast the tops of the buns for 2-3 minutes KEEPING AN EYE on the rolls at ALL TIMES with your oven light.
- Serve and enjoy! Remove the dinner rolls from the oven. Allow them to cool for 10-15 minutes before serving and enjoying. Store any leftovers in an airtight container or bag for up to 4 days in the fridge or put to 3 months in the freezer.
Please see the blog post for all tips, tricks, and substitutions!
- Serving Size: 1 gluten free dinner roll
- Calories: 257
- Sugar: 3.1 g
- Sodium: 225.4 mg
- Fat: 6.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 44.4 g
- Fiber: 3.8 g
- Protein: 5.6 g
- Cholesterol: 12 mg
Keywords: gluten free dinner rolls, gluten free dinner rolls recipe, gluten free vegan dinner rolls, vegan gluten free dinner rolls, easy gluten free dinner rolls, soft gluten free dinner rolls