These gluten free hamburger buns are soft and delicious! So easy to make, naturally vegan, and no xanthan gum, they’re the perfect addition to your BBQ burgers!
- 2 cups (260 g) tapioca flour
- 2 cups (270 g) millet flour
- 1/2 cup (70 g) oat flour or sorghum flour
- 42 g psyllium husk powder
- 2 tbsp arrowroot
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp (14 g) instant dry/quick rise yeast
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup (240 mL) water, warm
- 1 cups (240 mL) dairy free milk, like soy milk, almond milk, oat milk, etc, warm (or more water)
- 2/3 cup (170 g) dairy free yogurt, room temperature
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Vegan egg wash (1 tbsp maple syrup + 1 tbsp soy milk)
- Sesame seeds for topping
- Prep: Measure out all ingredients and set aside. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk the dry ingredients: In the bowl of a stand mixer or in a large bowl, whisk together the tapioca flour, millet flour, arrowroot starch, sea salt, psyllium husk powder, and instant dry yeast. Make sure that everything is thoroughly whisked.
- Make the dough: Add in the warm water, warm dairy free milk, dairy free yogurt maple syrup, and apple cider vinegar. Use a dough hook attachment for the stand mixer or a large wooden spoon if making the dinner roll dough by hand, and mix the dough on medium speed until you get a thick and consistent, slightly tacky dough. Allow the dough to knead for 4-5 minutes. This will take about 2-3 minutes for the dough to come together in the stand mixer before kneading, or about 5-7 minutes before kneading the dough if making the dough by hand.
- Shape the burger buns: Once the dough is made, lightly flour a clean surface with millet flour. Divide the dough into 6 even dough pieces. Take one dough piece, and lightly press it down with your palm. Then take the corners of the dough and pinch them together in the middles. Flip the burger bun dough upside down so that the pinched dough is facing downwards, and gently roll the dough on the table to form a smooth ball (see photos and watch video). Place the finished burger bun onto the baking sheet, and repeat for the remaining dough.
- Proof: Cover the gluten free hamburger buns with a clean dish towel or proofing cloth and place in a warm area to rise until doubled in size, about 30-40 minutes. While the hamburger buns are rising, preheat the oven to 350F.
- Brush: When the gluten free burger buns are doubled in size, brush the tops of the buns with the vegan egg wash (maple syrup and soy milk whisked together).
- Bake: Place the gluten free hamburger buns into the oven to bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the tops of the buns are lightly golden. If your burger buns are done, but the tops haven’t browned as much, you can turn on the broiler setting of your oven to toast the tops of the buns for 2-3 minutes KEEPING AN EYE on the rolls at ALL TIMES with your oven light.
- Serve and enjoy! Remove the burger buns from the oven. Allow them to cool for 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving your vegan burgers. Alternatively, you can lightly toast the sides of the buns before making your sandwiches as well. Store any leftovers in an airtight container or bag for up to 4 days in the fridge or put to 3 months in the freezer.
Please read the blog post for all tips & tricks, along with ingredient substitutions.
Keywords: gluten free hamburger buns, gluten free burger buns, easy gluten free bread recipe, vegan gluten free hamburger buns, vegan gluten free burger buns